Author Topic: Not any fire  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Dirty Flanger

• Level 1
Not any fire
« on: 10/ 9/07 - 05:02PM »
I have an 86 CJ 7 and it has the 360 V8. I am having troubles with it. I was in Springfield driving along and it just died on me. I checked it out and found out it wasn't getting any fire to the plugs. I hot wired the coil and it did't do any thing, so I put a new coil in it and still nothing. I even tried hot wiring that! So I took the distributer out and put another in and it still has no fire. I checked and the rotor bug is turning when it is cranking over but it just acts like everything is dead. I have just stuck it back in the corner of my barn and thats where it has sat for 5 months and now I am ready to get it going again. Any one got any ideas whats going on here?
White spray paint works magic!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Not any fire
« Reply #1 on: 10/ 9/07 - 05:07PM »
Not real familiar with older jeep motors but have you tried a new ignition module or whatever the proper terminology?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #2 on: 10/ 9/07 - 05:31PM »
Sounds like the ignition box is shot.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 10/ 9/07 - 06:26PM »
Use and inductive timing light (the kind that clamps on the wire) to make sure that you are not getting any fire while cranking.  the only things on those that could go out was the ignition coil or the distro.  I have bought bad distributors from O'Reilly's tho.  Check all connections to the ignition coil (you should be getting 12v in the run position).
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 10/13/07 - 02:18PM »
If it has a tachometer, disconnect it and then try it. The tach might be FUBAR, and screwing with the ignition.
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Offline Dirty Flanger

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 10/14/07 - 12:05AM »
CPJ, you was correct! I pulled the wires and it fired right up! AhHHHH! All I have to do is put it back in time and I will be good to go again! Thanks, your a lifesaver!  :)
White spray paint works magic!

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 10/14/07 - 10:59AM »
Whos your daddy??????????
Im no expert, (shut up Roger) I just saw it happen to Tom. Glad it runs. :)
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."