Author Topic: What have you been doing to your jeep lately?  (Read 65664 times)

Offline shamoo

• Level 4
Re: What have you been doing to your jeep lately?
« Reply #60 on: 01/11/07 - 05:12PM »
Poison spyder trails corners, after a few near misses, i decided that i need protection bad. I have a few scratches where i have rubbed some trees at Disney and Seymour, so i decided that those are a must.

Man are they heavy heavy duty.
I called Peterbilt here in Springfield and they have those LED lights for a great price, so i think i might stop by there and get them. They are heavy duty cause they go on the 18 wheelers and they are durable too. My neighbor is a truck driver and he said they are the way to go.

Jon
ANCH ROCKER
http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png
"BE LIKE A DUCK
CALM ON THE SURFACE
BUT PADDLING LIKE THE DICKENS UNDERNEATH"

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #61 on: 01/11/07 - 05:25PM »
Aaron, I was just pointing it out for the sake of safety.  You don't seem like the type that would want one either way.  The only time I've used mine were in rocky creek bottoms when my foot kept bouncing of the pedal.

Those LED tail lights have really come down in price in just a couple of years.  3 years ago you could hardly find any for less than $45each.  Now the ones they sell at Harbor Freight for about $15 are the same ones installed in over the road trailers.  Since DOT spec'd LED lights on new trucks/trailers the price came down dramatically.  I like the rubber grommet fit ones better, but the ones that you attach with screws are more popular and for truck/trailers can be installed for better theft prevention.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline DrLewall

• Level 2
« Reply #62 on: 01/11/07 - 05:51PM »
Quote from: "toyotaguy"
Lewall:  Does your brake lever have a spring to put it back to idle or no resistance when you let it off?  

Seems to be a lot of people putting these on their jeeps lately.

My lever has a spring in it but I really think it's not needed as the throttle return spring is pretty stout..and once you squeeze on the lever, you will see it takes more strength to pull on it than you would think. The throttle spring will snap it back to idel, as it does when you let off the gas pedle. Try to find a lever that has the "adjustment" screw. Those with OBA systems seem to like that as they can  adjust the idle speed to run the compressor..then readjust it back to normal idle. I thought abt using the shifter/ratchet style lever, and I may change it out later when I put on a OBA system, but for now, I will use this set up and get use to it and decide if an upgrade is in order, at least I have one working now.
DrLewall
"Doc"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #63 on: 01/11/07 - 08:03PM »
I called Peterbilt here in Springfield and they have those LED lights for a great price, so i think i might stop by there and get them. They are heavy duty cause they go on the 18 wheelers and they are durable too. My neighbor is a truck driver and he said they are the way to go.

I wondered if the trucker lights would work... don't see why not. Are you getting Trail corners powder coated, or are you going to paint them to match your jeep?  Can't wait to see it....
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline shamoo

• Level 4
« Reply #64 on: 01/11/07 - 08:58PM »
powder coat, i have black on my Jeep so it doesn't matter if they are black as long as it does what it is suppose to do.

Yep, the ones at Peterbilt will work, called Inland Truck Parts  they wanted $45. I said no way man. So that is when i called Peterbilt.

Jon
ANCH ROCKER
"BE LIKE A DUCK
CALM ON THE SURFACE

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #65 on: 01/11/07 - 10:39PM »
shamoo, try springfield brake on trafficway. they have led tails that have a metal ring that fastens the light to the body. the ones that just use a rubber grommet have more of a chance of coming out. they also sell alot of other neat stuff too.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline shamoo

• Level 4
« Reply #66 on: 01/11/07 - 11:10PM »
cool thanks man, i will call them tomorrow. Always need some nee ideas on where to get stuff.

thanks again

shamoo
ANCH ROCKER
"BE LIKE A DUCK
CALM ON THE SURFACE

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #67 on: 01/11/07 - 11:12PM »
I got mine at Springfield Brake.  They were a little high but I wanted them same day so I spent the $$.  Also don't forget to get the plugs for them while your there if you buy them, they don't come included.

Aaron
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #68 on: 01/12/07 - 01:26AM »
and you gotta rig your flasher relay so they dont flash realy fast. i just pulled the cover off the relay and took an exacto knife and cut the "bulb out" part of the relay off

there is a write up on this at www.stu-offroad.com

i think springfield brake evern has some that are black untill the leds light up. they would look really nice if you paint those corner gaurds black.

good luck, and the pain of cutting 2- 4 inch holes in the back of your jeep will be gone as soon as you see how cool they look!

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #69 on: 01/12/07 - 01:35AM »
Quote from: "TJ-2thousand"
good luck, and the pain of cutting 2- 4 inch holes in the back of your jeep will be gone as soon as you see how cool they look!

Not if you have a plasma.  Ask Aaron - we put his in about an hour total and I soldered the wire looms in.  He did cut one with a jig saw because we could smell gas tho.  HAHA :brows:
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #70 on: 01/12/07 - 01:50AM »
yeah i used a jig saw on mine. it worked pretty good.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #71 on: 01/23/07 - 12:32PM »
Not really a Jeep specific upgrade, but it rests close to th' Tan Turd, & keeps them warm.  I will never get caught without a means to keep my family warm & safe, again.  The generator & power transfer unit cost just a little under $1,000, but the peace of mind it brings & the knowledge that Di can have a simple way to light & heat the house if i am gone is priceless.

J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #72 on: 01/23/07 - 03:03PM »
Well back to the JEEP aspect of this thread  :afightee:

I just finished mounting a MileMarker winch to my CJ.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline farmboy

• Level 3
« Reply #73 on: 01/23/07 - 03:26PM »
My jeep is setting in the shop right now with the frontend tore apart because we failed to put a seal in before we went to diseny and then found out we really needed it.  Hopefully now that the ice and crap is gone i can get it put back together.

Aaron, your winch kicks ass.  I'm the only one that has seen it so i figured i'd make a big deal about it.
Be quick to listen, slow to speek and slow to anger!!

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #74 on: 01/24/07 - 10:11PM »
Oh, i forgot to mention, that generator & transfer switch ate up all the cash i had for my SYE, CV shaft, & tube fenders.  That makes it Jeep related?
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"