Author Topic: LCA with SYE?  (Read 1887 times)

Offline DKR

• Level 2
LCA with SYE?
« on: 10/16/05 - 02:26PM »
I was reading a write up on http://www.4x4xplor.com/tj.html for an installation of an Advance Adapters Slip Yoke Eliminator that I'm considering buying. Everything was about as expected, but in the parts needed area it talks about needing rear adj control arms to do this.

I'm not a pro, but it didn't make sense to me.  :confused:

Can someone explain why I would need to buy control arms for a slip yoke eliminator? Thanks!
kr
[TJ] 3" BDS, 33" Super Swampers, Banks power, K&N

Offline bradrenea

• Level 2
Re: LCA with SYE?
« Reply #1 on: 10/16/05 - 10:53PM »
It's probably  needed so you can change your pinion angle. CV style driveshafts require a different pinion angle than standard driveshafts. Without the adjustable LCA you won't be able to change it for the new shaft. If I remember correctly from when I installed the SYE in my old XJ the pumpkin is supposed to be tilted up so there is no driveline angle at all. Hope that makes sense.
8 XJ with stuff (Brad's)
96 XJ with stuff (Renea's)

Offline DKR

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 10/18/05 - 06:57PM »
Does the pinion have to be rotated?  I'm doing a belly up flat skid plate and will have a longer driveshaft that should meet up with the pumpkin without changes, right?  Or am I thinking totally wrong?  Sorry if I am, This part of the mechanics is totally new to me.
kr

Offline bradrenea

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 10/18/05 - 08:22PM »
On my cherokee I did not get real crazy about getting it perfect. My dad put the SYE kit on his and had to change the shims in the leafs a few times to get it right. He's pretty picky about any vibration though, I just wanted mine close enough that the u-joints did not go out all the time.

But to answer your question, I think most of the SYE manufacturers recomend that you rotate the pinion. Mine was already rotated up quite a bit due to really long shackles I had, and it just happened to be pretty close to where it needed to be.
8 XJ with stuff (Brad's)
96 XJ with stuff (Renea's)

Offline W

• Level 1
  • Lowriders are for those that can't get it up!
« Reply #4 on: 10/28/05 - 12:19AM »
With my SYE i have fixed lower control arms, and had to get adj. upper control arms in order to tilt the pumpkin (diff) upward to achieve the correct pinion angle so no vibrations would occur (which is why I got the slip yoke in the first place)  The SYE can be set up with factory upper control arms...but it won't be able to be dialed in (the pinion angle) near as accurately...you will notice vibes at diff. speeds, usually 30-40ish and highway speeds...and after a couple of months you could notice more vibes.  But if the funds aren't their you can still get your driveshaft and pinion angle to suffice for the time-being, upper adj. control arms are reccomend but not mandatory.
quot;Lowriders are for those who can't get it up!"<br />JEEP = expensive

Offline white 99 tj

« Reply #5 on: 12/ 1/05 - 08:33PM »
I have a tj with the same thing you are wanting to do. The belly up ,sye,  

You will need
rear upper adjustable control arms,
 track bar relocate bracket make sure you tell them you are adjusting your pinion angle when ordering,
shockrelocate brackets,
rear adjustable track bar
your exhagust worked on since its going to be raised
1 or 2 inch mml
t case shifter brackets skyjacker is what i got
sye
cv drive shaft
1" body lift

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

http://www.performanceoffroadcenter.com/oscommerce/product_info.php?products_id=153&osCsid=f5d74c20fb4d474a2d58daa73ef9ae7f

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/more.htm

I ended up with 18 degree pinion angle

my tj specs
d30
d turd 35
1" mml
1"bl
Flat belly skid
3 1/4" lift front acos
2" b boost rear
Porc sye

hope this helps you out

Offline acorn

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 12/ 1/05 - 09:20PM »
Hey guys, what's with the shock relocation?  Are we talking about outboarding them?  Or is it just kind of squaring them back up after the axle tube rolls back a little?  I think I just answered my own question.  If my second guess is the case, is it a matter of cutting off the old and welding on the new?  Sounds like a good excuse to outboard to me.

Banish my demons of stupidity for me.
01 TJ Sport, black under tinted spice
31X10.5 Kumho MTs
Warn Rockcrawler and shackles up front
Nth Oil Pan & Warn Steering Skids
1" BL/BMML & JKS Quicker Disconnects

Offline DKR

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 12/ 4/05 - 04:30PM »
As far as shock relocators - I'm getting the nth degree shock shifters..anyone else have them?

Also - what kind of exhaust mods have to be done with the belly up?
kr

Offline acorn

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 12/ 5/05 - 09:48AM »
Seems there's a heat bend needed to regain clearance between exhaust and floor.
01 TJ Sport, black under tinted spice
31X10.5 Kumho MTs
Warn Rockcrawler and shackles up front
Nth Oil Pan & Warn Steering Skids
1" BL/BMML & JKS Quicker Disconnects