Author Topic: few questions to ask about my jeep  (Read 2238 times)

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
few questions to ask about my jeep
« on: 11/12/05 - 05:55PM »
how do i know if the oil pressure gauge is reading accuretly....it seems really low but the engine runs completely fine...idles smooth no knocks or pings....also how do i get my fuel gauge to work again...????also had a small coolant leak on the drivers side of the motor from a small plug...i tightened it down and it seemed to stop....there are more then one of these plugs...and are they normal places to leak a little????

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
Re: few questions to ask about my jeep
« Reply #1 on: 11/12/05 - 08:17PM »
I'M GUESSING YOUR RUNNING AN OLDER 4.2 INLINE 6.  IF SO THESE ARE NOTORIOUS FOR LOW OIL PRESSURE, DAMN NEAR NOTHING AT IDLE AND ABOUT 20 PSI REVED UP.  GAS GUAGE IS PROBABLY SENSING UNIT IN TANK, HAVE TO CHECKED GUAGE ITSELF.  I GUESS FIRST THING TO START WITH IS WHAT ARE WE WORKING ON?

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 11/12/05 - 09:12PM »
its an 83 cj-7 with the inline 6....however it has a 79 valve cover...and i think a 79 head on it....i replaced the valve cap today and wanted to get a pvc valve but auto zone didnt have it.......the oil gauge does concern me, becuase it kinda just stays the same reved up or not....just under 15lbs....i did find a solution to see if it is working though...i found it on jeepforums.com....however i did find a small coolant leak on the driver side of the motor....it was a plug type deal it seemed loose and was leaking very very slow...i tightened it down and its better.....it was on the side of the motor but it seemed like it was on the intake manifold?.?.?.?.....that concerns me but maybe its nothing......i would post pics of it but i cant figure out how.......any advice for me

Blueyellow

« Reply #3 on: 11/13/05 - 12:48PM »
Oriellys has a Tri gauge set that has voltmeter, Oil Pressure(Mechanical), and Temp Gauge and Thats what I use on my 89 It seems to work great and Hvac is correct at idle I Lil or no Oil pressure and At reved up warm engine I only have about 23 lbs. But On a Cold Engine when you first start it up you will Have about thrity lbs. Hope that helps
Al

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 11/13/05 - 03:24PM »
YOU GOT A GOOD START, MY FIRST JEEP WAS A LIGHT BLUE 83 CJ-7.

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 11/13/05 - 07:17PM »
yeah i dont think the gauge is working correctly...because a cold engine it will have 20...maybe 25...then a warm engine will have 15 a little under 15....i think the gauge is just off and im gonna try the sending unit first then get new gauges if that doesnt work....if the gauges dont work...well then im screwed

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #6 on: 11/13/05 - 10:27PM »
AS FAR AS OIL PRESSURE, THAT'S A TYPICAL 258, IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE YOU GOT ANY PROBLEM TO WORRY ABOUT.  BE GLAD YOUR RUNNING 15 THAT'S AWSOME.  THOSE THING ARE FUN TO TRICK OUT, PLANNING ANY WHEELING SOON, LOVE TO TAKE A LOOK AT IT AND GIVE YOU ANY IDEAS I MIGHT HAVE FROM MY OLD ONE.

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 11/14/05 - 08:05AM »
id like to go wheeling...nothing to major though....i want to do a 2inch suspension lift on it...it could use new shocks so i mine as well do everything.....also there are a few holes in the floor nothing major....i wannna get those taken care of to.......

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #8 on: 11/14/05 - 08:19AM »
WE'RE GOING OUT SATURDAY TO SEYMOUR, WE TOOK A BUNCH OF STOCK JEEPS OUT THERE ON THE 6TH.  NEED TO P.M. JACKS FORK AND SEE WHAT KIND OF TRAILS THE KC GUYS ARE GOING TO RUN.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #9 on: 11/14/05 - 10:12AM »
Quote from: "mike4089"
.....also there are a few holes in the floor nothing major....i wannna get those taken care of to.......

I wouldn't worry about the holes unless you don't want to lose a small pet riding with you.  The bigger the holes, the faster the mud and water will drain out when you bury it.  Trust me, I know...

Keith
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline Overland n' Rocks

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 11/16/05 - 06:05PM »
Lib Pat;
Are you talking about the Floor Pans or your Radiator?  :boink:
haos, Panic, & Disorder; I see my work here is done.

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: 11/16/05 - 10:15PM »
holes in floor...small crack in radiator.......radiator is getting fixed tommorrow...and floor is getting fixed this weekend

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #12 on: 11/17/05 - 10:22AM »
Quote from: "Overland n' Rocks"
Lib Pat;
Are you talking about the Floor Pans or your Radiator?  :boink:

Oh, I'm on my third radiator now. (put in a 3 row for the 304)

Still got the holes in the floor behind the seats though.  Keeps the water and mud from pooling up under your feet while trying to cross deep mud holes.  A water line up to your knee is not a good sign when you're still in the Jeep.  :brows:
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...