Author Topic: 231 J problems....HELP  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Andythes

• Level 1
231 J problems....HELP
« on: 11/26/05 - 11:49AM »
sooo....i just took out my transfer case to find that there is one (three prong) electrical plug by the rear drive shaft, and a 2 prong plug on the top of the tranfer case by the front drive shaft output.

Heres the problem.....the other transfer case I have, labeled 231 J, doesnt have the plug by the front drive shaft output and has a 2 prong plug and a 4 hole vacuum plug directly under it. Will this transfer case even work on my 93 cherokee country edition??

please help, need to have jeep up and running by sunday so I can go back to springfield!!
Andy

Offline GURU

• Law Dog
  • Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: 231 J problems....HELP
« Reply #1 on: 11/26/05 - 07:54PM »
It will work.  The two prong plug on the original is for the 4x4 light and the three prong by the d-shaft is the speed sensor.

The other 231 is out of either a wrangler or an early Cherokee that had a vac disco front.

I believe you can take the two prong plug from your old case and put in place of the 4 line vac sensor or just don't mess with it.  The speed sensors can be interchanged easily by removing the bolt that holds the clamp and pulling the whole assembly out.

Hope this helps.
hose who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                     -Benjamin Franklin
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/DDay1/biohazard.jpg
ZERO TOLERANCE

Offline Andythes

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 11/27/05 - 01:37AM »
awesome, thanks a lot, I thought thats what it was, but wasnt all that sure.  I went ahead and plugged the vacuum lines and switched out the spedo gears and it works great.  Thanks!

Offline GURU

• Law Dog
  • Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 11/27/05 - 09:58AM »
what was wrong with your old 231??

If it was bad, just wondering if you want to get rid of it.

Thanks
hose who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                     -Benjamin Franklin
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/DDay1/biohazard.jpg
ZERO TOLERANCE

Offline Andythes

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 11/28/05 - 02:20AM »
I'm not exactly sure whats wrong with it, I know the chain is fine but theres something inside thats not right, casing, etc is all fine.  Shoot me a price and I'm sure I'll let it go, thanks.  I can have it here in springfield by the 8th of december
Andy
andythes25@yahoo.com