Author Topic: manual to auto tranny swap?  (Read 1600 times)

Offline rxmotoman

• Level 1
manual to auto tranny swap?
« on: 12/ 1/05 - 10:42PM »
found an '04 auto tranny for sale. anyone know all the details of putting it in my 2000 to replace my nv3550 manual? I know the mounts are different but was wondering about the big stuff like computer, pan spacing, etc. any wisdom is appreciated.
$$$ is the censored spelling for jeep.

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
Re: manual to auto tranny swap?
« Reply #1 on: 12/ 2/05 - 10:21PM »
better off to find it in the Jeep and get the wiring harness and computer.

Offline madtrapper

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 12/ 2/05 - 10:45PM »
Why not just get a front air locker and a new clutch and forget about all that auto trans stuff. :beerchug:

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 12/ 3/05 - 01:40PM »
the mount itself should bolt your skid ok, not much fab work to do. you will need an trany cooler and run lines weld you brake and clutch pedles together proble the hardest part would be wiring ,if I am net mistaken the auto is computer controled. you will also need a different input gear for your tranfer I believe. whats wrong with the 3550? I might be interested in it.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rxmotoman

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 12/ 3/05 - 03:52PM »
nothing wrong w/ 3550 as far as I know. Think it's just the throwout bearing on the clutch. Just wanting an auto, but haven't decided how bad I want it. Everything has 65,000k on it. If you're interested reply or send me a pm. If I decide to swap instead of just put in a centerforce we may work something out.

Offline HVACMASTER

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 12/ 7/05 - 08:08AM »
WHAT KIND OF NOISE IS THE THROW OUT BEARING MAKING.  I HAVE THE NV 3550 ON A 2000 WITH 55,000 MILES.  REPLACED CLUTCH BECAUSE OF THROW OUT NOISE.  CLUTCH AND PRESSURE PLATE WERE FINE BUT REPLACE ALL ANYWAY, STILL HAVE BEARING NOISE WHEN JEEP IDLES WITHOUT CLUTCH PRESSED IT.  PUT MONEY IN TO GEARS AND LOCKERS AND YOU'LL TAKE YOUR MIND OFF YOUR CLUTCH.

Offline rxmotoman

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 12/ 8/05 - 12:55AM »
bad clatter when in neutral & clutch out (up). when shifting gears it's like pushing it thru a "V" shape just before getting into lower gears. pretty rough getting moving or slow corners b/n the powertrax in the rear & the clutch. I look like a 16 y.o. learning to drive stick! I'm shooting for front locker & re-gear in the not too distant future.