Author Topic: INPUT PLEASE  (Read 1486 times)

Blueyellow

INPUT PLEASE
« on: 12/27/05 - 10:01PM »
OK I Now am the Proud owner of a tow Vehicle and Trailer So Now I am Working on the Jeep Slowly But Surely Because it is not a daily driver anymore. The rings. Are shot and it has about 150,000 Miles on the engine.
What are my options and what are the best options.
Buy a Crate Motor Drop it in???
Rebuild It?
Heard dome story about being able to change it intoa stroker Motor with a different head???? (NEED details)
Drop in a 350 or something near it???
Fuel injection??
I am really Open to ideas and really not a need to worry about price too   much because I'll be able to Buy it Slowly. I am open to all suggestions Just need the details of how hard it is to do, How much is costs, and What tools would I Need
Al

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
Re: INPUT PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: 12/27/05 - 10:53PM »
well you are asking alot there Al.
 first you need to think about the direction you want to go. by this I mean are you going to change axles trany ect...
 you axle I am using they are still stock wont hold up to a v8
 if you think you have time and $$$ and dont need it all rihgt away, I would go the chey v8 with an auto trany beefy axle and have a trail beast but you are talking time to collect parts.
 for a iquicker fix get  4.0 drop it in. bolt right up with some wiring and you fuel ingection
 just .02 from me
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline shamoo

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: 12/27/05 - 10:56PM »
Off topic

Al whats your tow rig?

shamoo

Ps: talk to Derick about his 6 cyl stroker build up Im sure he can give you some insight BACK ON TOPIC
ANCH ROCKER
http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png
"BE LIKE A DUCK
CALM ON THE SURFACE
BUT PADDLING LIKE THE DICKENS UNDERNEATH"

Offline JacksFork

• SMORR
  • Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 12/29/05 - 04:10PM »
I would go with the 4.0 6cyl with fuel injection. That motor will power any axle or tires you put under it.

food for thought
SOUTHERN MISSOURI OFF ROAD RANCH
http://www.smorr.net

CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE!!
http://smorr.net/facebook

Offline CJaredo7

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 01/ 3/06 - 10:58AM »
Hey Al,
with the 4.56 gears you don't really need a lot of motor to get up and around and over stuff...    You just need a motor that doesn't stall out on inclines and something that runs good at all RPM's.  That having been said, if you want to build a 'stroker' motor, you'll need to find a 4.0 block and then get a 4.2 internals, like mainly the crank and rods then put that together with the 4.0 pistons (the bore is different on these two motors if I remember correctly, but that could be a mistake so you'd need to check).   Basically, you're taking the 4.0 and putting a 4.2 crank in it for the extra long 'stroke'...thus the 'stroker' motor.  

Mainly important in any of this is trying to get fuel injection though... sure, the 2100's are great carbs, I love mine for the money I have into it...but FI is the way to go in the long run.   6 or 8 doesn't matter as much to me as good fuel delivery and a strong block, whatever the block may be.  

Of course, I have a 305 vortech that I'm putting in mine, but I would have been happy with getting a 4.0 HO with FI also... I just couldn't pass up the deal on this v8, that's why I got it.

you COULD get the 4.0 head with MPI and put that on your 258 you know.  That would require you to go through the bottom end of your current motor and make sure it's in good order, I would definately put new rod bearings in and rings of course, but with that setup you'd have plenty of motor to get you going around.  

Roger is right in the long run...you gotta figure out if you want to upgrade your axles and stuff with more beef...then based on those upgrades you may want to go ahead and put some more power behind it, or  just gear lower :)   Either way, get an auto. ;)
 :biggrin:
82 CJ-7 Laredo with some stuff...read about it at http://www.inajeep.com/

CJaredo7

Offline Overland n' Rocks

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 01/ 3/06 - 07:03PM »
we can always put the 3/4 ton chevy stuff in it, it's just sitting in the freak'n field.
But you'd need a TH350, T-Case (right hand drop,) & chevy motor of your choice.
haos, Panic, & Disorder; I see my work here is done.