Author Topic: 4" lift for Xj questions??????????????  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Deano

• Level 1
4" lift for Xj questions??????????????
« on: 01/ 2/06 - 11:57AM »
I have a 1991 XJ with the NP231 t-case. I am getting ready to put a 4" lift on it and need to know if I have to put in a slip yoke eliminator?And do I need to put on longer arms? Or can I get buy without them? I am a newbee to the sport, aswell as the club. Look forward to wheelin with ya!!!!!!!!!!!! :beer:
DRIVE IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED!!!!!!!!!!!

Blueyellow

Re: 4" lift for Xj questions??????????????
« Reply #1 on: 01/ 2/06 - 03:18PM »
Well THe only thing that I can tell you is when I did my 4 inch lift on my YJ is I had to do a one inch transfer case Drop, and I am not useing a SYE Kit and it works Just fine, No Broken U Joints Yet,  But it may be different on an XJ.
On My transfer drop I Used one inch Square tubing and It works great.
Al
 PS I also Had to use I Beleive it was 3 degree Axle Shims on the rear Axle

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #2 on: 01/ 2/06 - 03:28PM »
Usually on 96 and older XJ's you can get away with around 3-4" of lift without a SYE.  The longer wheelbase of the XJ helps out and if you want to drop the cross member it's not that hard either.

Keith
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline bradrenea

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 01/ 2/06 - 05:10PM »
My first XJ was a 93. I lifted it 7 inches without a SYE, just 1.5 inch T-case drop. And no, you won't need longer arms for a 4 inch lift. The stock lower arms will bind on the axle mount so the suspension will not droop as far as it would with aftermarket arms, but you can cut away some of the metal on the mount for clearance.
8 XJ with stuff (Brad's)
96 XJ with stuff (Renea's)