Author Topic: xj full drive train swap into 79 cj7  (Read 1879 times)

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
xj full drive train swap into 79 cj7
« on: 02/18/07 - 12:57PM »
Do to poorly maintained coolant mixture I cracked my 258 block this winter.  The ice storm claimed my 98 xj.  I only totaled the xj with body damage.  I plan on swapping the 4.0l into my cj.  Is it worth swapping the auto tranny and np231 transfer case to?  Right now I have a manual t18a with a great granny gear for first and dana 20 transfer case.  My concern is the computer.  Will it function right without the automatic.  When it's all done I?ll be parting out what I don't use.  Including my weber carb with less than 200 miles use on it.
STEP 1: BUILD IT
STEP 2: BREAK IT
STEP 3: REPEAT

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
Re: xj full drive train swap into 79 cj7
« Reply #1 on: 03/24/07 - 06:36PM »
:not4me: no one has a single bit of advice.  is it because i'm not a club member.  i've thought about joining but now i'm not sure.  maybe i'll just stay a one club guy.  thanks

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 03/24/07 - 08:22PM »
If you use the whole drivetrain are you planning on swapping the axles in as well?  

I don't have enough experience with swapping 4.0's to know if they will work properly with out the auto.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 03/24/07 - 09:56PM »
as far as you swap goes, the 4.0 runs on a different computer than you trany so you could just swap motors other wise you will need to some creative wiring to get it to work. as far as the lack of response to you questions. I do not know of anyone here who has done that swap so I am going to assume that is why not very many peps have responded
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 03/25/07 - 03:17PM »
:applaudit: Thanks guys.  The original plan was to take motor, tranny, t-case, and axles.  The fab on the axels was probably going to be more then we could handle.  Now we're only taking the motor and power steering gear.  The crankshaft sensor is needed for the computer.  What I have to research is the positioning of the sensor.  How precise does it need to be?  For those wondering I have the full xj.  Minus the body damage and sheared rear axle shaft it?s a perfect running single owner (now totaled) xj.

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 05/ 9/07 - 08:19PM »
for anyone planning 4.0 swap i found a great forum.

http://www.cjoffroad.com/forums/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=24