Author Topic: Wheel/tire upgrade  (Read 5232 times)

Offline why jay

• Level 2
Wheel/tire upgrade
« on: 07/25/07 - 05:11PM »
Okay guys, I have a few questions.  I am about to upgrade my wheels/tires on my 93 YJ.  I have a 4" rough country lift on it (although I am not getting 4" out of it, I was told it was 4 when I bought it.) Some of you have seen it.  Anyway, I have a sidewall puncture on one of my 31's and rather than purchasing a new 31 (I wanted to upgrade anyway.) I am going to jump to 33's.  I will probably go with 33" Goodyear Wrangler MT/Rs on some steel wheels (get rid of those AR Eagle Alloys).  My questions are these.  What width of wheel should I use?   What width of tire?  What backspacing?  These may be difficult to answer with out seeing the jeep and taking measurements but what do you think?  Also, I know i may have to add a bit of lift.  I read online about a 1" Daystar poly body lift and possibly a 2" shackle lift (which will give me another inch).  What do you think.  Also if someone knows of a tire/wheel store that knows what they are talking about and are reasonable, let me know.  Most places are used to putting tires on Geo Prisms.
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Wheel/tire upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 07/25/07 - 05:52PM »
With a rough country YJ lift you probably didn't get 4".  We put one on Daves and after a trip to Disney it only netted him 2.5" of lift.  I personally would rather have a 1" body lift than 2" longer shackles, I just don't like shackles more than1 1" over stock.  Also the body lift will also allow you to do a tummy tuck later if you choose to.  

As far as wheels it depends on what you like.  Most would say buy an 8" wide wheel, if you like the wider look then a 10".
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 07/25/07 - 07:16PM »
Its my understandng that a 2" shackle lift will only provide 1" of lift.  The recommendation online was to do both that and a 1" body lift to get a total of 2" for the tires.  I really dont thing I will need that much though.  Hopefully with the rough country and ONE of the above, I will have clearance.
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 07/25/07 - 11:30PM »
Yes 2" longer you get 1/2 of so 1".  I just think they look weird on the front of a YJ.  Also the longer you go the more it effects your caster and what not.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 07/26/07 - 12:20AM »
I have never seen them, had never even heard of them until a few days ago.  Thats why I ask you guys. :beerchug:
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 07/26/07 - 07:47AM »
As for your balancing question;  just go to Wally world, and buy a can of:

Then mount the tater skins yourself (or bring them over to the house & i can help you)

Use about a 16 oz. water glass full of those for each tire, and you'll be golden for balancing.  Ask Yota how mine drives on the street.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 07/26/07 - 09:59PM »
Anyone have suggestions on width or wheels and tires?
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 07/26/07 - 11:31PM »
I wouldn't go any smaller than 33 x 12.50 x 15.  You've got 4.10s so you'll be fine with 33s.  A set of those Currie +3/8 lift shackles are decent (albeit expensive), and won't gank your steering too bad, and a 1" body lift would also help.  If you're going to be driving it on the street a lot, the BFG MTs are great & not too expensive.  Mixxis & Pro-comp aren't too bad, and if cash is no option, Mickey Thompsons or Toyos (Toyos have big fat sidewalls...nooiice).   If your Heep is strictly a trail rig, with little or no street time, then anything made by Interco (Super Swamper) except the Thorn-turds, are great.  

As far as wheels, it's hard to beat a cheap set of black steelies.  About any of the brands are similar, and they're about $50-70 each.  Stick with a fairly shallower back set of around 3-4" will help keep the treads off the springs & front end components.  

Good luck, and keep us up to date on the progress.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 07/26/07 - 11:59PM »
If ordering black steel wheels look at Jegs they offer free shipping and they are still same price as else where.  

For dual role tire:

MT/R's are find also MTZ's, BFG MT's, and super swamper SSR's.

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #9 on: 07/27/07 - 03:23PM »
8" or 10" wheel?
I am Joe the plumber.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #10 on: 07/27/07 - 03:30PM »
Depends on what your personal preference is. If you wheel a lot and want to air down an 8 is better since it holds the bead more due to pressure.  A 10 will let the tires wear slightly better since it gives a more even foot print.  I like the wider wheels on some rigs, but 8 is the more popular choice.

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #11 on: 07/28/07 - 08:01AM »
I prefer the 10inch wheels
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #12 on: 07/28/07 - 05:52PM »
I say go with 35 inch tires 8 inch wheels and just do some trimming or tj flares to clear the larger meets. still do the 1 in body lift but forget all about the shackle
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #13 on: 07/28/07 - 06:40PM »
Quote from: "OldYJ"
I say go with 35 inch tires 8 inch wheels and just do some trimming or tj flares to clear the larger meets. still do the 1 in body lift but forget all about the shackle

You've seen my YJ, do you think that 35's will fit with only adding a 1" body lift.  Also, won't that require a new rear end and such.  I am still stock.  Obviously, I wold like to go bigger, but I just thought that going above 33 would require alot more work and CASH.
I am Joe the plumber.

Blueyellow

« Reply #14 on: 07/28/07 - 08:03PM »
Go 33's  it will allow you to hammer on that d35  a Bit more than you would be able to do with 35 inch Tires they will Break trust me I Have Broke two....And If you think a  33 inch tire will render your fourwheel drive Expeirence.... Your foolin yourself Trust me a 33 Will go anywhere you want to go!
  as far as Rims Go with a Steelie and perferable a 10 inch rim..... You can run eight to ten pounds of Air in a 33-12.50 and Punish it and It Won't pop a Bead. I Have only seen a few times When a bead was popped and It was odd Spots Where nobody could Explain why it happened But it did.... OH well thats the Mystery of the trail Oh and The fun!!
Theres My Two cents
Al