Author Topic: is there anybody out there that is having problems lifting 2007 wranglers  (Read 3632 times)

Offline tdederich

I am wanting to lift my 2007 jeep wrangler but I talked to a friend of mine at the local dealership and he informed that there having problems with the new style jeeps that have been lifted.  Is anybody else having problems and if so have you discovered a solution.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
What problems are they talking about?  I haven't really heard of any unless you go really big.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Big A

• Level 3
No problems with mine!
˙ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Offline armycop

• Level 1
I am wanting to lift my 2007 jeep wrangler but I talked to a friend of mine at the local dealership and he informed that there having problems with the new style jeeps that have been lifted.  Is anybody else having problems and if so have you discovered a solution.

The only problems I have heard is going too high with a 2-door and not changing shafts. If you go over 3" of lift on a 2-door, the driveshafts will be at a hell of an angle and take a dump real soon. The 4-door hasn't had many problems with bigger lifts. I have Rusty's 2" coils and they have been fine, with no ride problem for 18 months and going.

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
Pretty much what everyone else said, but there are a lot of guys out there with lifts on JK's. I had the same Rusty's kit as Armycop, but I recently moved up to a 4" Superlift, which is what Kevin and Sarah have on theirs. I'm sure the added height will put additional stress at a few points (primarily the drive shafts), but it looks and rides great so I'm willing to upgrade the driveshafts as needed...
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline tdederich

the problems i have heard of are dealing with the anti lock brake system being activated while turning the vehicle and not applying the brakes. other problems i have heard of were also dealing with the braking system. 

Offline Big A

• Level 3
here is the best tool in the world for finding anything JK

Type in Google "site:www.jk-forum.com" followed with your specific search criteria... In this case lift problems.

˙ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
JK-forum is a great place to find info on all things JK. You'll find a lot of guys on there with lifted JK's and they are generally pretty newbie friendly.

The problem you are speaking of is really a matter of adjustment. The JK's have a "feature" that applies the breaks when it senses you are in a skid. When you lift the jeep, it changes the gemoetry of the suspension, so you have to adjust the length of the drag link so that the sterring wheel is centered again. As long as you do that, there are no problems with the ESP light coming on.
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline tdederich

thanks that was what i was looking for   i figured it was a easy fix usually is.

Offline iJeep

• Level 4
FlameRed hit it on the head, recentering the steering wheel is vital.  The JKs are actually easier to lift because they have longer control arms and cross-over steering from the factory.  Those features help reduce the chance of wheel hop or death wobble. 

The larger tires are what actually causes problems with the ESP false positives.  Recentering the steering wheel will take care of 99% of the problem.  It seemed to me that regearing helped a little too, but the lights will still come on in some situations.  That said it will not affect the drivability of the vehicle.  The only thing it has done that annoys me is turn off the cruise control.  Going about 70-80 down Hwy 65 through Arkansas today mine came on two times that I can think of.  I don't think it would have come on if I went slower around the corners.

I can also say that recalibrating the speedometer does not help the ESP issue....but it does make the speedometer read correct, which is nice.

Offline cjjeepman

• Level 1
since you guys were talking JK i have a 07 with larger tires and wheels no lift ,I have wobble when i hit a bump or pot hole ,You better be holding on ,It has 10,000 miles on it i dont drive it very much ,,The dealer cant find a problem they put a aftermarket stab.on it and it helped but not a fix got any ideas thanks Bruce ,it is a 2 door,i just run BFG tires nothing wild 

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
No lift??? What size of tires and wheels are you talking about?

A few background questions - Did you buy it new (i.e. do you know its life history)? What do you have your toe-in set at?

Here are my initial thoughts -

Normally I'd ask about your front lower control arms, but since it doesn't have a lift the stockers should be set optimally.

Also, I'd make sure you have everything torqued down. I got a slight death wobble with mine when I first put on the superlift because the track bar wasn't cranked down tight enough.

The other common cause of a wobble on the JK's is ball joints. If you jack the front end off the ground, check to see if there is any play.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5

because the track bar wasn't cranked down tight enough.

90% of the time; this is the problem with wobble.  Have someone wiggle the steering wheel back and forth while you look under the front of the Jeep and look for any play in any of the steering linkage or track bar. If something is loose, you'll see it.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline iJeep

• Level 4
On the stock Jeep with oversize tires....

Have you checked all of the tires/wheels to make sure they are balanced and not out of round?  Have you tried rotating the tires to see if it makes a difference.  If the problem only started after you changed the tires and wheels, that's what I would look real hard at.  Have a different tire shop look at them than the one that did the original work (because shops are good at making the same mistake repeatedly).  I use Hickman's tires on west Chestnut, he can balance up to 37"+ or so tires accurately, is real knowledgeable, and reasonable priced.

With only 10k miles, there shouldn't be anything with the suspension or steering that is out of whack unless somebody "fixed" it or it has been in a wreck.

Steering stabilizers don't fix these type of problems, they just hide the symptoms.  The intended use of a steering stabilizer is to prevent the wheel from jerking when you hit a curb, puddle of water or something like that.

Offline cjjeepman

• Level 1
I am only running the 285 75 17 tires by BFG ,it has a aftermarket chrome wheel not sure at the moment of the vrand ,I bought it new and it only has 10,000 miles on it ,It has basically had the wobble ever since i picked it up ,It has been in the shop about 6 times ,and the next time it goes I will take it to reuthers in st Louis ,I checked everything and it is tight ,The wheels and tires were put on prior to the sale ,So I dont know who really did it ,I think i need to go be a little more firm with dealer ,and demand it be fixed ,The tires arent wearing funny far as i can tell .let me know what you think i should do thanks Bruce