Author Topic: 4wd not working?  (Read 1064 times)

Offline wakenh2o

• Level 1
4wd not working?
« on: 12/17/08 - 01:21AM »
89yj stock, can't tell if 4wd working . In 4hi, steering seems stiff like working, but front wheels not spinning on ice, rear spins. I lost 1 hose off front differential, what to look for? thanks

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: 4wd not working?
« Reply #1 on: 12/17/08 - 01:23AM »
If you lost one of the vacuum hoses of the front you need to replace it to get 4wd to engage. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline wakenh2o

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 12/17/08 - 01:29AM »
thanks, will replace in the a.m. This hose just has a valve on the upper end, connected to firewall?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 12/17/08 - 01:39AM »
So your talking about your vent tube not the vacuum hose that comes off the 4wd actuator on the pass side?  You need to check your connections at the vacuum pump as well as the axle for the vacuum actuator.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline wakenh2o

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 12/18/08 - 12:29AM »
Sorry not to reply, . looked at it today somewhat. It's about 1/2" dia hose that runs to transfer case? There's one still there that runs under to transfer case, hard to see till I get it on lift. On the top end it has a floating valve, must be the vent cap. I'll try to trace the vacuum lines. Thanks

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #5 on: 12/18/08 - 11:10AM »
On your axle there should be a unit mounted on the right, back of the axle tube.  Look for vacuum lines running to this.

I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...