Author Topic: Thoughts? Broken 8.8  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Twizted

• Level 1
Thoughts? Broken 8.8
« on: 02/14/09 - 02:55PM »
I'd like to first admit that I am hard on my Jeep. But I also expect it to handle it because I'm a realist and am not going to change my driving style (I tried and failed miserably). I know most will say it's me and my fault and that it's a Jeep not a race car, but here it goes...

I first broke my factory D35 with trac-loc on the street about 6 months ago. I did a hard launch from a roll to pass an Idiot Out Wondering Around. I broke teeth off the spider gears and the ring gear didn't look good either. I upgraded to an 8.8 becuase I wanted this not to happen again and the largest tire I'm going to run is 35's.

Well I just trashed my 8.8. Spider gears are are toothless, cracked the case, and ring gear is scorched (?). You guessed it, from doing a hard launch on pavement. I had just put on my 35's (Thank you Larry) and was "testing" them.

I already planned to re-gear and put a tru-trac up front, now it looks like I'm also putting a tru-trac in the rear. But the question is: Am I going to have strength issues again? I upgraded to an 8.8 thinking that it would handle my abuse, but am asking too much? I know that on the street it'll be tougher on it but will it hold up under moderate to possible heavy off-road abuse? Could it be possible that I just had bad luck and replacing everything inside should make it strong enough for me? Any comments appreciatative, even the obvious ones.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: Thoughts? Broken 8.8
« Reply #1 on: 02/14/09 - 03:39PM »
can you said dana 60
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 02/14/09 - 03:39PM »
You managed to do about the only common break if not upgraded on an 8.8. The carrier is weak from the factory. Replaceing it with an ARB, Detroit, or OX will fix that weak link

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 02/14/09 - 08:47PM »
If you want to be WORRY FREE with your 8.8 step up to any full case locker such as Detroit, OX, ARB, etc and also a SUPER 8.8 kit. 

www.4ws.com has them listed. 

The downside of an 8.8 is the stock carrier can "flex" under load and allow things to move and break internally, just ask anybody who drags a mustang with 8.8 in the back.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline GHOST00TJ

• Level 3
  • Lary, Andrea, Alexis and Chase
« Reply #4 on: 02/15/09 - 01:29AM »
maybe have a truss welded on, Super 88 kit, chromolly shafts?? 

Offline Track3

• Charter Members
  • Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 02/17/09 - 11:10AM »
I totally agree with Larry. Go 60 or bigger. I have gotten tired of smaller axles breaking under stuff I drive, so I'm going big. Broken too many D44 parts with little 35" tires.