Author Topic: auto shipping  (Read 2349 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
auto shipping
« on: 04/ 8/10 - 11:53AM »
Anyone ever had an automobile shipped? I'm looking into having my Jeep shipped to Alaska. So far I've gotten quotes from $545 to $65,000 .. haha, yeah that's right... $65k
Anyway.. Looking for a reputable company ... anyone know of one? The cheapest smallest rental car I can find is $1900 for the 17 days I plan to be there. If I can ship my Jeep there and back for cheaper; heck I'd rather have it.
« Last Edit: 04/ 8/10 - 11:56AM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: auto shipping
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 8/10 - 12:15PM »
I've shipped inside lower 48 and from here to NY was like $575.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #2 on: 04/ 8/10 - 12:46PM »
i had a buddy ship a bronco from western montana to here for $500. he just called trucking companies to find a truck that was going to be there and heading here. but being alaska might make it hard. i would just drive it there and fly back. but i REALLY want to see alaska though.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 04/ 8/10 - 12:48PM »
i re-read your post jimmy. i though you were shipping your xj up there, thought you may have got it sold.

could you not rent a u-haul and get a trailer and just pull it up there?

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #4 on: 04/ 8/10 - 01:18PM »
Alaska is 3700 miles one way; That would put me on the road for at least 8 days of my vacation; no going to happen.
I have a Super Duty Diesel and a 20ft trailer; no need to rent anything. I'm figuring diesel prices will be $4 (It's BUSH's fault right?.. whatever) or more by the end of July-August (probably more than that in Canada) which is when I'm going. 12mpg towing average... You do the math. I don't need or really want to take my Jeep, not going for wheeling, I'm going for backpacking, but figured if I can have it shipped there cheaper than what I can rent a car for I would and maybe hook up with some fellow jeepers and wheel a few days. Anyway, from the quotes I'm getting it's not looking doable to ship the Jeep. Average quotes are 2-3K one way.

I've shipped inside lower 48 and from here to NY was like $575.

Who did you use?
« Last Edit: 04/ 8/10 - 01:21PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 04/ 8/10 - 01:33PM »
oh, i thought it was a wheeling trip. yeah, thats crazy expencive.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 04/ 8/10 - 06:36PM »
I don't remember Jimmy, it was like 5 years ago.  I had a friend who owned a load brokering business at the time.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 04/10/10 - 03:10PM »
I have the auto auction next weekend so I can ask the shippers if there are any good tricks to fill a truck heading up there.
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #8 on: 04/10/10 - 10:51PM »
Don't worry about Ross, I dint want to get me jeep to Alaska and then not be able to afford to get it back from Alaska... Unless you got someone who will guarantee both directions for a decent price. Otherwise i've decided I'll just buy something off the Anchorage craiglist for $700 or so (already been looking used cars are dirt cheap out there) use it for the time I'm there and then donate it to a church or run it off a cliff which ever I decide to be the most pleasureable at the time.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 04/11/10 - 11:56AM »
plan b sounds like alot more fun!

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 04/12/10 - 01:05AM »
Giving to the church will allow part of your trip to be tax deductible, running it off the cliff would be way more fun though.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #11 on: 04/12/10 - 11:17AM »
yeah running it off a cliff would probably incur charges ($$$) to get it from the bottom of the cliff... and I'm sure the Fuzz will have some sort of fine for that as well... I'm thinking donation/tax deductible would be the best way to go. If I do run it off a cliff, I'll take video.