Author Topic: Going to Chevy Axles  (Read 2203 times)

Offline Gmann

• Level 1
  • Don't get mad, go Jeepin
Going to Chevy Axles
« on: 01/23/08 - 04:40PM »
I have a 1976 CJ-5, I'm looking to replace the factory axles with Chevy axles. I need to know what all is involved. I have a 258 in line 6 with a 3 speed. My front axle has a drive line to the right (passanger) side as do the axles. Will the only modifications be: extending the brake lines, and moving the axle brackets (The brackets where the axle mounts to the springs)? Any info will be much appreciate.
1997 TJ Sport

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Going to Chevy Axles
« Reply #1 on: 01/23/08 - 04:58PM »
Your going to have to "outboard" your front springs.  You can't reset the perches on the axle inward enough to line up with your springs.  So the springs must be move to the outside of the frame rails (not all the way out).  The rear you will just have to move spring perches.  You will also most likely have to redo the shock mounts on the axle end. Usually can be opened up a little to allow shock to seat. 

Chevy also runs a push and pull steering setup so you will have to figure out some way of attaching a drag link to it.  The factory tie rod will work, but you will have to either rig something to it for a drag link or get a flat top knuckle for pass side and attach steering that way. 

Thats all I could think of off the top of my head. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Gmann

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 01/23/08 - 11:14PM »
Your going to have to "outboard" your front springs.  You can't reset the perches on the axle inward enough to line up with your springs.  So the springs must be move to the outside of the frame rails (not all the way out).  The rear you will just have to move spring perches.  You will also most likely have to redo the shock mounts on the axle end. Usually can be opened up a little to allow shock to seat. 

Chevy also runs a push and pull steering setup so you will have to figure out some way of attaching a drag link to it.  The factory tie rod will work, but you will have to either rig something to it for a drag link or get a flat top knuckle for pass side and attach steering that way. 

Thats all I could think of off the top of my head. 

Thanks, I think you just talked me out of it... For now anyway.
1997 TJ Sport

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: 01/25/08 - 03:41PM »
it really isnt that complicated to outboard your front springs.

i build a bracket that is the front spring mounts, then weld that to the frame. it makes a nice bumper and winch mounting platform.

the for the rear of the front springs, i just use some of the shackles i sell and gusset them to the frame. as for the steering, the best bet is to get a flat top knuckle and do the cross over steering. if you get the stuff built before installing it on the rig, it becomes a fairly quick and easy job.

if you are going to leave the shackles forward, it is even easier to outboard. i use the leaf spring mounts i sell and weld them on the rear of the front springs, then gusset. got to the front and use the way back shackles, weld and gusset.  all in all, one good days worth of work and you could have the major stuff done.

the steering goes back to a cross over. i would NEVER skimp there. knuckles are cheap, milling and tapping cheap, and the steering arm is cheap.
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #4 on: 01/27/08 - 12:42AM »
i have a 76 cj5. it had  the outboard done when i bought it, just be careful of who you let work on your rig if you dont do it yourself, they did a crappy job on mine. Geoff(Junkyard) knows what hes talking about.  just get in line if you want him to do yours, cause hes got mine in his garage right now fourlinking it and doing a shackle reversal among other things that hes fixing do to the previous owners hack job.
If your gonna be running anything bigger than 37 in tires youll want to go witha Dana 60 or bigger.  A dana 44 is a great axle until you put bigger than 37s on it.  I found that out after i built two D44s. flat top knuckles are easy to find for a d44, so crossover steering is a sinch.

I noticed you live in cassville, have you had a chance to go to BIG M lately?
LATA
RYan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline Go4Lo

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 01/27/08 - 11:06PM »
Ok I have to ask.  He posted that it was to much work for him to do at this time, or at least thats my interpretation. 

So I have to ask why repeat basically what the first guy said?  While also seemingly pimping your stuff?  Nothing wrong with selling your services but seemed like a poor way of putting them in the post.

Also Fierogold:  You posted that some of this was done to your jeep when you bought it, Good for you.  Then you state your having Junkyard build yours for you.  Yet you give the guy advice that stuff is a "sinch"?  If your paying to have the stuff done why would you go throwing advice around?  Also He never posted tire size so where did the must have a 60 to go bigger than 37's come in?  Maybe it's a street jeep, maybe he doesn't run lockers so less stress on axle and a 44 is fine.  You give a lot of "advice" without having much info.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 01/27/08 - 11:37PM »
i have a 76 cj5. it had  the outboard done when i bought it, just be careful of who you let work on your rig if you dont do it yourself, they did a crappy job on mine. Geoff(Junkyard) knows what hes talking about.  just get in line if you want him to do yours, cause hes got mine in his garage right now fourlinking it and doing a shackle reversal among other things that hes fixing do to the previous owners hack job.
If your gonna be running anything bigger than 37 in tires youll want to go witha Dana 60 or bigger.  A dana 44 is a great axle until you put bigger than 37s on it.  I found that out after i built two D44s. flat top knuckles are easy to find for a d44, so crossover steering is a sinch.

I noticed you live in cassville, have you had a chance to go to BIG M lately?
LATA
RYan

Small thread hijack------  Are you or Junkyard going to start a thread on yours?  I see that he is linking the rear and SR the front?  Why are you guys doing that instead of linking the both ends?  (The reason that I ask is that I saw that you bought some 1 tons and if you are going thru that much work and have the axles.....)
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #7 on: 01/28/08 - 11:03AM »
Go4lo your an a$$!!! i am being friendly to Gmann, trying to give him the info that i wished i would have known before i threw a whole bunch of money at my jeep.  if more people were friendly and not self proclaiming a$$holes then maybe a whole lot of money would be saved, and the sport would grow.

My jeep is at geoffs because i saw some of the work he has done and liked it.  i dont have a shop right now and wasnt able to do anything to my jeep. geoff was nice enough to shoot me a good package deal and i jumped on it in order to get my jeep done sooner so i could stop tearing up my dads jeep. Im doing the SR in front to keep my cost down as well as keep it more stable.  Ill start my own thread on my jeep so that i dont get belittled any more, while trying to help a fellow wheeler,as well as a neighbor.
LATA
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline Go4Lo

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 01/28/08 - 05:12PM »
Pot this is Kettle calling you still black?  You call me an A$$, but directly make yourself out to be one?  Good move man.

If you trying to help him out then get all the info needed and give legitimate advice.  That is the whole point I was trying to make.  Advice was given before you posted, was taken/accepted, and a response of you talked me out of it was given.  So why keep throwing stuff at him?  IF he is your friend/neighbor why did he come here looking for advice instead of going to you if your Mr. Knowitall? 

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 01/28/08 - 07:14PM »
I apologize if you go4lo thought i was pimping my stuff. that was not my intent.

i was mearly stating with certain parts that are prefabbed, doing the outboarding can be really easy. that is why certain companies make certain parts.

i have no clue of his skill level. I also do not care if he buys parts from me or not. if he would like a kit designed for him to make it easier, fine. ill give him an awsome deal on the parts. if he needs some advise on particulars excellent, ill help him as much as he needs.

yes i am build fieogld's rig. yes there will be a thread on it.

i dont run my business to make a huge profitt. If you think i do, then you are sadly mistaken. I make more money doing taxes and property management. i do however sell parts, new and used, and really truely enjoy helping people out who want to further there four wheeling.

i do charge for my work, i have electric and other things to pay for.

if Gmann needs some help then i am more than happy to help, give advice, help find cheap or cheaper parts to use.

im not on here to pimp my products. yes i am backed up as i have tons of people getting in line for me to build there stuff. i have some that have stripped their rigs just so that i can install there v8 and their drive train, then they take it home to finish.

i refuse to get into a pissing contest with anyone. so i will say this short ans sweet.

IF ANYONE NEEDS ADVICE HELP OR WHATEVER, YOU CAN ASK ME. I WILL NOT TRY TO FORCE YOU TO BUY FROM ME. I ENJOY HELP OUT OTHER WHEELERS. IF I MAKE A BUCK FINE, IF I DONT FINE. IF I HELP YOU TO MAKE YOUR TIME WHEELING BETTER, THEN I AM MORE THAN WELL PAID.

dont stab at me just because my hobby/habit has caused me to create a business for tax purposes, and my drive to help others has made me carry products and show them to others.

gmann, please pm me if you need any questions answered and i will do my best to give you advice that will make it super easy for you.
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline Gmann

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 01/28/08 - 08:10PM »
Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to cause a battle of the board. All info given was accepted and appreciated. Junkyard thanks very much for the advice you gave me. You didn't talk me out of it permanitly, just for now. I just bought and installed (my self) a 4" lift, so the funds are a little low at the moment. I got some Chevy axles from my uncle. They came out of a 79 Chevy Blazer, I'm going to install them, just later. Tire wise, I'm not going anything bigger than 35's. I have 33's now, so the 35 will be down the road.

As for Big M. was just down there 3 weeks ago. This last Saturday we went into Mark Twain by Sugar Camp (On Hwy 112 south of Roaring River) Awesome trail. I did add a little paint to a tree and wrinkle my drivers side fender. Not too bad though.

I'm not picking anysides on this board, but all info from anyone will be taken. Thanks everyone.
1997 TJ Sport

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #11 on: 01/28/08 - 08:39PM »
hope to see you on the trails.  sorry if i seem to have started a battle, some people just dont think basic info is helpful...let me know next time you go, cassville is right around the corner from me.  I still have yet to conquer the last of the STEPS at BIg M.
LATA
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #12 on: 01/28/08 - 08:41PM »
You didn't start a board war by any means.  Do not let peoples differences restrict you in anyway from asking questions on our board.

I also want to remind EVERYONE that personal attacks will not be tolerated.  Doing so will get you "BANNED" from this site. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Gmann

• Level 1
« Reply #13 on: 01/28/08 - 11:08PM »
hope to see you on the trails.  sorry if i seem to have started a battle, some people just dont think basic info is helpful...let me know next time you go, cassville is right around the corner from me.  I still have yet to conquer the last of the STEPS at BIg M.
LATA
Ryan

I know right where Lampe is at. Your not to far. If your talking about the steps, just south of the bridge, just back in the trail. Those are pretty tough. We mad them down the steps, haven't tried going up them yet.
1997 TJ Sport

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #14 on: 01/29/08 - 12:01AM »
its definatley a challenge, ive seen guys with open axles make it up the big one at the top, but i still have yet to conquer it.  i have a vendetta against that ledge and think i may conquer it when i get my lockers put into dads jeep.

are you going to the Hell Froze Over event? cause i think ill try to make it this year, your 4in lift should make it alot more fun.

Lata
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!