Author Topic: 51 willys project  (Read 1980 times)

Offline wheelchairman

• Level 2
51 willys project
« on: 08/ 5/07 - 11:14PM »
Picked up the 51 willys from my grandpa this weekend. The plan is 4.3 vortec 4l603 tcase?  leaf sprung SOA dana44/10bolt on 33" tires power steering/brakes full instrument cluster

below are the pics of the starting project its a pile but it can/will be revived :agree:

Lots of work for me and I do mean LOTS!!!!!!

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
Re: 51 willys project
« Reply #1 on: 08/ 5/07 - 11:42PM »
Dang that's cool!

I just love the style of those and the Dodge PowerWagons from back then.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #2 on: 08/ 6/07 - 01:30AM »
cool ride!
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 08/ 6/07 - 01:40AM »
I love seeing the old willy's rebuilt.  Good luck with the rebuild keith.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline wheelchairman

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 08/ 6/07 - 10:37AM »
It will be old school outside but modern in. It will have ozarkoffroad fab engine,tranny,tcase mounts shackles, diff covers, cab cage, and tube fenders.

Should be a mean rig for weekend mall crawlin and mid to moderate trails :cool:  :cool:

Offline BigFord74

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 08/ 6/07 - 12:53PM »
Heck ya, can't wait to see the build up picks, I keep meaning to stop by and check on that other one. I did stop, has no bed, and they had cut a hole in the floor for the tranny at one time.
url=http://www.ozarkoffroadfab.com/]http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8455/logoleftrs8.gif

Offline wheelchairman

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 08/ 6/07 - 02:39PM »
If anyone knows where I can get a tailgate for his fairly cheap lemme know. this one is in BAD shape

Offline Project92YJ

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 08/ 6/07 - 10:55PM »
check with marshfield salavge they have a willy and might know where to get on for you.

Offline wheelchairman

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 08/ 7/07 - 11:41AM »
A little history of this truck.

This is a 51 willys pickup 4x4 has a 4cyl f head engine. the exaust ports are in the block and intake in the head i believe. It has a 3 speed tranny.

My grandpa bought it around 1963 or 1964 in Overland Park Kansas. It was his farmtruck from that time until 1993 was overtaken by his commanche. That truck was used as a plow and as a hay truck. My grandma left it in 4 low and over reved it so it got rebuilt and bored 30 over. In 1970 my great grandpa died in this truck. This truck took my grandma to the hospital to have my Aunt. This was the truck my grandpa taught my uncle how to drive in.

The truck has been in our fam for around 44 yrs lets hope for another 44

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: 08/13/07 - 11:49PM »
well i am in for a treat.

this project is going to be awsome. it will take a while, but keeping this one on budjet is going to be easy.

the willys has a great platform. very solid not much rust. the donor, aside from the top, could be driven anywhere.

perfect donor and great platform. this project wil get a ton of pics and will make wheelchairman a very happy willys owner.  i love the direction he wants to go with it.
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline wheelchairman

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: 08/14/07 - 12:03AM »
Ya the vision is there now having it all come together is like a big jigsaw puzzle.