Author Topic: 4.0 engine swap  (Read 887 times)

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
4.0 engine swap
« on: 09/ 6/08 - 02:22AM »
        so as of now I've got a 90 yj with a 2.5 and it leaks some oil. It leaks from the rear main seal and various other places. Also the weak ax5 is slowly dying, the syncros are goin and Ive been driving and just living with it. What i was wanting to do was swap in the 4.0 and the ax15. I been trying to read as much as possible about this swap online, and it seems there is alot of info on this subject. I would have to change the input shaft on the np231 or use the 4.0 tcase, new motor mounts, wiring harness either used or new?, will the accessories off the 2.5 work like alternator, starter, radiator etc.. or will i need to try to get this with the motor?, also exhaust. What I'm running now is 33's and stock axles and 5 inches of lift. Has anybody around here done this swap or have any suggestions or can give me some more info.
                     Thanks, Alex 
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: 4.0 engine swap
« Reply #1 on: 09/12/08 - 12:00AM »
you will need to replace the radiator,exhaust,and the rear axle. the stock rear end mite work for a little while.hope this helps.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline last boyscout

• Level 1
Re: 4.0 engine swap
« Reply #2 on: 10/ 6/08 - 09:40PM »
i've done the swap and Larry's right about the radiator.  the easiest way to get everything needed is a good donor.  but, yj or tj donors are next to impossible to come by.  most common donor is an xj.  i'm decently well versed on this swap so feel free to ask any questions.  best faq source i've found is cjoffroad.com in their 4.0 swap forum.
STEP 1: BUILD IT
STEP 2: BREAK IT
STEP 3: REPEAT