Author Topic: Towing a 69 CJ5  (Read 1617 times)

Offline awall

Towing a 69 CJ5
« on: 09/30/08 - 12:20AM »
I am buying a 69 CJ5 and need to bring it home. I do not have a trailer or vehicle to pull a trailer. However my vehicle is capable of flat towing. I will need to tow this thing 800 miles. It will be interstate all the way. What needs to be done to prepare this for towing. The Jeep is in stock condition. I would appreciate any advise. Thanks

Offline Lilgrnjeep

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
Re: Towing a 69 CJ5
« Reply #1 on: 10/ 1/08 - 12:34PM »
Al you should be ok flat towing that badboy all the way home. I've draged my '73 all over the place, Co. Ark. Ok, and Kansas to name a few.
Hubs unlocked,Trans and transfer case out of gear. Or pull the Driveline at the rear and wire it up out of the way. Just keep an eye on the hubs, if to dry they could get hot. Tow bar,Safety chains and tail lights are all you'll need.
You'll sometimes forget it's back there.
Good luck.
Roy.

Also, remove the top and lay the windshield down to reduce drag and improve milage.
« Last Edit: 10/ 1/08 - 12:47PM by Lilgrnjeep »
Jeep; Pronunciation jep,
(From (G)eneral(P)urpose Vehicle)
Definition: A small sturdy military automobile with four-wheeldrive, which is directly connected to your wallet.

Offline awall

« Reply #2 on: 10/ 2/08 - 07:39PM »
Thanks Roy, It's got a hard top on it so I'll have to leave it on. I'm getting quit anctious to go get it now.

Offline Lilgrnjeep

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 10/ 2/08 - 08:22PM »
I'll bet you are!
Is this your first jeep, or just the next one?
The only thing that will stop you, is if she won't roll.
Do you have a spare tire for the cj? If not let me know.

Also our Club meeting is tonight / 7:30 at the Library on South Campbell St.
in Springfield, you should try and make it.
Jeep; Pronunciation jep,
Definition: A small sturdy military automobile with four-wheeldrive, which is directly connected to your wallet.

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 10/ 3/08 - 10:14AM »
Manufacter says to put the t-case in N, then put the trans in gear.  Heard this keeps the gears lubed because of the rotation.  I've flat towed this way and seems ok.
ud is good

Offline awall

« Reply #5 on: 10/ 3/08 - 11:50AM »
Yes, this will be my first jeep. It runs good and is drivable but needs the steering tightend up and the brakes fixed. It is also a rust free vehicle. It has the v6 motor.

Offline Lilgrnjeep

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #6 on: 10/ 4/08 - 12:32AM »
Sounds nice.
The "rust free" part sounds real appealing to anyone that drives a cj.
Are you going to keep it stock or have you got other plains for her?
Like disc brakes and power steering. (Maybe your best first upgrade). Trust me emergency stops in a short 5 with drum brakes, will give you a new insight and respect for the drivers of the older jeeps. Just something to consider.

Also, Tiff may have a good point...
On the longer trips I have always pulled the driveshaft at the rear axle and wire it up out of the way.

Have a safe trip.
Jeep; Pronunciation jep,

Offline awall

« Reply #7 on: 10/ 4/08 - 11:15PM »
It needs new brakes so I will probably look into the disk brake conversion. And yes, power steering would be nice. I will also want a roll bar and a soft top. Other than that I don't plan on much else at this time. I will need to find a tow bar and spare tire when I go to get it. I haven't made the plans to go yet so I don't know how soon it will be.

Offline Lilgrnjeep

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #8 on: 10/ 5/08 - 02:32PM »
Let me know next time you make a roadtrip to Springfield. I can't help you with the soft top, but I do have a roll bar that should fit under your hardtop.
I've also got a spare tire (or maybe 5) you can buy / or use to get it home.
You'll need to Look into what it will take to do the disc brake conversion. I've got some parts there to, but don't know what axle you have or what you'll need to do that.
The power steering is for the most part, a slam dunk. although on mine I had to make the mount and move the alternator to the other side.
My tow bar is set up to install to the shackles on my jeep, but I do have a front bumper I made that is set up for the tow bar. It's drilled to work on a cj or yj
so it's just a mater of replacing a jeep's bumper and your good to go.
Your welcome to use my tow bar to get your jeep home, as long as I'm not using it that week and as long as I don't have to send Vinnie and Liljohn to your house to get my stuff back. :)
Roy.
Jeep; Pronunciation jep,

Offline awall

« Reply #9 on: 10/ 5/08 - 11:31PM »
Thanks Roy, I'll drop you an e-mail when I get this all figured out. The jeep is up in North Dakota and I don't even know yet if I can get back up there before the snow flies. I'm only 20 miles from springfield and I get there quite often either for work or play. Thanks for the help, I'll be getting back to you soon.