Author Topic: Ax-5 questions  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Willysman23

• Level 1
Ax-5 questions
« on: 10/ 4/08 - 03:05PM »
I have a 2door xj with this trans in it behind the 2.5L and was wondering if it would hold up to 31's,level 3's and a relativly light foot.I don't have alot of funds to buy another new trans like the nv3550,or the adapters,and was wanting to know what usually breaks in the ax5.I am fairly good at rebuilding trannys,so if I have to rebuild it every now and then I can.I know their supposed to suck,but I drive only as hard as I need to,I don't peel out,at least in that vehicle,and I am easy on the clutch.What do you think and what be an low buck swap?

Offline Willysman23

• Level 1
Re: Ax-5 questions
« Reply #1 on: 10/ 5/08 - 01:40PM »
Well,I guess I will just see what happens. :106:

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 10/ 5/08 - 03:11PM »
Leave the trans in place until you break it if you do.  Those aren't really bad trans for a low output 2.5L.  Usually its the synchros that go first.  So nothing that will leave you walking home.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Willysman23

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 10/ 6/08 - 12:45AM »
Thanks,I will just leave it until it starts to fail,and I will just rebuild it.

Offline fish2222

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 12/ 6/08 - 11:51AM »
I just bought another AX-5 to rebuild.  That way it can be ready to throw in if the original one fails, and then I can rebuild it.  It's not like it take more then about 4 hours to replace one.  To me it's almost easier to swap one out then do the 5th gear fix in the Jeep too.