Author Topic: another tire debate  (Read 1695 times)

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
another tire debate
« on: 10/ 8/08 - 11:28AM »
Everytime i tell myself I'm gonna get new tires i research and research and can't make my mind up so i put it off longer. This is a big decision b/c once you get them on there you're pretty much stuck (unless your loaded). However, now I'm to the point where they really need replaced. Currently i am running 33x12.50x15's baja claws and was wanting to go up to 35's. I've heard a few guys say that i will regret running 35's on stock axles, but then again other guys i know run 37's w/ no issues. So i was on here once again looking for tire input. What do you think between 33's and 35's and also a reasonably priced tire. I was going back and forth between Maxxis bighorns for $716(ebay) shipped or Goodyear wrangler MT/R's for $695(duscounttire.com) shipped (after $50) rebate. Any other suggestions that would make my decision easier...or harder would greatly be appreciated. 
Thanks,
Nate

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: another tire debate
« Reply #1 on: 10/ 8/08 - 12:41PM »
Have you regeared your axles or what gears are you running?  If you feel like your lacking power now it will get worse.  Also if you wheel and your running a 35 in the rear your pushing a time bomb. 

As far as what tire to run... I've run about every tire at one time or another and they all have there pros & cons.  Is offroad traction a high concern or street wear and performance??

Basically we need more info to give you an educated answer... or people can just say how great the tires they are running are.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 10/ 8/08 - 01:11PM »
it has 4:10 gears in it now. It will prob be my dd for the next 1-3 years, however, i do want the capability to be there when i do decide to take it wheeling.

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 10/ 9/08 - 11:39AM »
I read numerous forums last night that recommended the axle upgrade and regearing to 4.56 or 4.88 for 35's, so i started to search for axles! i did find a near new dana 44 out of a JK for about 300. Would that be a good fit?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 10/ 9/08 - 11:53AM »
There are several problems running those axles.  The suspension setup is wrong and you would need to purchase new wheels since they run 5 on 5" bolt pattern.  Also you should probably buy a pair if you do since they are different width than your stock TJ. 

As far as tires I'd stick with 33's with that gearing and both the tires you mentioned have good road manners and good offroad performance.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 10/ 9/08 - 11:57AM »
thanks for the info. Is there a better axle to look for that will be more compatible w/ my jeep? And if i do decide to stick w/ 33's i will prob just stick w/ the baja claws like i have now, since i already have the spare that is brand new.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #6 on: 10/ 9/08 - 01:04PM »
you could re gear the front, and add alloy shafts, then buy a comlete ready to blot in Dana44 from 4wheelersupply.com with you choice of locker, shafts, breaks, and u joint. or find a ford 8.8 out of an explorer, and just ad TJ brackets and re-gear. the 8.8s are cheap, and come with disc breaks on the newer ones.

im in the same boat as you, im running a 35 in the rear and just moved up to 33s and im thinking of what im going to do in the rear so i can jump to 35s or 37s next year.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 10/ 9/08 - 01:11PM »
on the other hand i'm planning on later down the road doing an engine swap (prob a 350), so i may just put it off so i can make a huge jump in tires and axles so i don't run into this twice.

Offline 97_TJ

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 10/ 9/08 - 02:49PM »
Well i took the plunge! i decided to stick w/ 33's until I get a truck to haul it(when it breaks). I decided on the Firestone Destination M/T's b/c all the reviews were positive and it got very good ratings. It should work well for what i will use it for. They'll be in monday. Thanks for all the help though.

Offline xjnation

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 10/11/08 - 03:20PM »
Damn, day late and a buck short.  I can get you 33x12.50 Baja Claws for $165 each.  One of my warehouses is closing out and they are super cheap.  I think 200-225 everywhere else.  Hmm..