Author Topic: Cold Air Intake System  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
Cold Air Intake System
« on: 11/ 7/08 - 01:24PM »
I've been looking into, and thinking about an air intake system for my '05 Rubicon.  They all seem to be about the same price, and do the same thing, but is one any better than the others in terms of performance (at low RPM)?  I'm not as concerned about fuel economy gains, but I'll take what I can get.  Also, what about throttle body spacers.  I'm sure you guys have some experience with this, and would really appreciate any comments and suggestions.  Thanks, Steve
Mo Printer

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Cold Air Intake System
« Reply #1 on: 11/ 7/08 - 01:51PM »
I have the AirRaid  setup
 but wish I had the
AEM Brute Force
http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=AEM-218311
 as it only requires no oiling

I don't think anyone is really better than the other; they all do the same thing and that is ram more air down your intake and give you a good boost in HP; the differences in HP gains between the the different brands are so subtle; the point of which one is better in that regards is moot.

regardless I am very happy with the AirRaid; except when it comes time to clean and re-oil; If I were in your position I would buy the AEM Brute Force
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 11/ 7/08 - 01:57PM »
The throttle body spacer works like a high rise intake, you lose power low end to gain it up on the high end.  So if you're looking for more low end grunt i'd do cold air and avoid the spacer. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 11/ 7/08 - 07:18PM »
I have both the Cold Air intake and the throttle body spacer on mine and I have notice nothing but improvement on low end and high end, I also have a flowmaster muffler which help with it all too.
« Last Edit: 11/ 7/08 - 07:21PM by whitehead »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline GHOST00TJ

• Level 3
  • Lary, Andrea, Alexis and Chase
« Reply #4 on: 11/ 7/08 - 10:08PM »
I have a tb spacer (1") a K&N filter with the air box front cut out and a jet chip stag 1 really didnt gain a holebunch. About 2 months ago I had my throttle body & spacer bored to 62mm (55mm stock), right away noticed a crisper pedel and a low end response better than before. All this makes it sound cool also. Next step for me is a flowmaster, but I'll wait until I go for a belly up type skid. 

Before the tb was bored i really didnt notice much, maybe I just got used to it
« Last Edit: 11/ 7/08 - 10:10PM by GHOST00TJ »

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 11/ 8/08 - 12:33AM »
I have the brute force on mine. I like the cleaning and not needing to oil it. I also like the fact that it is metal and not plastic like some of the others. I have a larger trottle body on mimne with no spacer. I would say I have some  pretty good low end.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mr. Safety

• Club Members
« Reply #6 on: 11/29/08 - 12:22AM »
If you would stay out of the water you wouldn't need to change any thing!!!!!!!

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 11/29/08 - 09:34AM »
Well my opinion and from my experiances, a CAI alone will not make any significant improvements. You need to go all really. Do a CAI, Throttle Body spacer (preferrably bored out), a high flow cat, muffler, and larger exaust, and then a chip, or programmer to tie it all toghether. Doing all this will cost you as much as and make the difference of appropriate gears for your tires