Author Topic: broken shock bolt  (Read 6665 times)

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
broken shock bolt
« on: 12/ 2/08 - 11:09PM »
so i broke off the head to one of the upper rear shock bolts. and the one bolt thats left isnt doing the job.

any body know how to get at this broken bolt to get it out?

Brian
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline GHOST00TJ

• Level 3
  • Lary, Andrea, Alexis and Chase
Re: broken shock bolt
« Reply #1 on: 12/ 3/08 - 12:16AM »
assuming its one of the rear ones, i guess an easy out would do the trick-if you can get up in there. Most auto parts stores have them and HF should have something. Basicaly need the easy out and a drill. but getting in that tight spot will not be fun.

If your lucky and there is some of the bolt sticking out you maaybe able to get some vise grips on it.
« Last Edit: 12/ 3/08 - 12:18AM by GHOST00TJ »

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 12/ 3/08 - 12:19AM »
Easy out, or you can just order shock relocation brackets since stock TJ,XJ,etc rear upper mounts suck. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline GHOST00TJ

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 12/ 3/08 - 12:22AM »
I agree with that relocation. if time and monet arent an issue, now would be a good excuse and time to change over

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: 12/ 3/08 - 12:27AM »
yeah, i though about an easy out. but i just dont know how to get to it without dropping the gas tank. and there is nothing sticking out to get vise grips on. do the shock relocation brackets reuse the stock shock mounting holes? i was looking at JKS bre pin eleminators. but wasnt sure how they mounted.

thanks for the replies fellas!

Brian

Offline GHOST00TJ

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 12/ 3/08 - 12:30AM »
i looked at a cople and they used the stock bolt holes. but I didnt do a good search maybe there is one, just not sure how it would mount up there with out those stock holes.

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 12/ 3/08 - 10:16AM »
What about using a Drummel?  They're smaller and sometimes can get into tighter spots.
ud is good

Offline highsociety

• Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 12/ 3/08 - 10:33AM »
Check out Gen-right or Claytons relocation of the shocks.  This is the simplest and strongest reloction that can be done. 
2009 Sponsors:
S&S Auto, Staun, Corbeau, Clayton Offroad, Edmonds Dental Prosthetics, Kching, Indian Ridge Resort, Ballzout Lifstyle, John's 4x4, Brown Dog Industries

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #8 on: 12/ 4/08 - 03:39PM »
well i got a temp fix till i can get a shock relocation kit.

i just drilled up thru the brocken bolt and then ran a self tapping bolt up thru that. it should hold for my camping/ wheelin trip to chadwick this weekend.

Louie, i looked on Gen-right, and Claytons website, and couldnt find any "simple" relocation kits. are either of these bolt on deals? i just want to do somthing with the upper mount for now, i plan on swapping in a D44 within the next year. so i dont really wanna do anything with the lower mount on the Turdy5.

thanks for the help!!!

Brian

Offline highsociety

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 12/ 4/08 - 03:46PM »
Brain just get buy with what you have till you do the swap.  Then you can go to ford and order a shock tower and insert it into the frame like we did on my rig.  I have not broke a rear mount yet in 2 complete years of racing.  YOu can also order the whole kit from clayton with there long arm kit.  I love their products and will be installing new rear long arms in the near future to match my front when we put in the 60 rear.
2009 Sponsors:
S&S Auto, Staun, Corbeau, Clayton Offroad, Edmonds Dental Prosthetics, Kching, Indian Ridge Resort, Ballzout Lifstyle, John's 4x4, Brown Dog Industries

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #10 on: 12/ 4/08 - 04:26PM »
how much would it cost for somebody to put those shock towers in my frame rails? that is something i would not wanna do myself!

Offline highsociety

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: 12/ 4/08 - 04:42PM »
CHeck with John 4x4, Phil @ wilderness 4x4, or Larry @ S&S, they all can do them.  I would say it should run about 8 hrs labor or less by the time you cut and move all brackets.
2009 Sponsors:

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #12 on: 12/ 4/08 - 04:50PM »
i just read the write up on stu-offroad.com and this is definately something im gonna do when i get my 44 in. and by that time, i will  be due for some new shocks anyways!

thanks agian Louie!

Offline highsociety

• Level 4
« Reply #13 on: 12/ 4/08 - 04:58PM »
Yep thats the one we did on mine.  Great write up very easy to follow.  Glad we could help.
2009 Sponsors: