Author Topic: Project Ruby Lee 2  (Read 38078 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: CJ Dovetail... continued.
« Reply #120 on: 01/22/10 - 11:31AM »
I used Ford color CX (Dark Shadow Grey Metallic) and the black flames will also be a Ford color (AU) called Ebony. Yes did and doing it all myself. I have an HVLP gun that works great with my compressor.

Here is a pic of the tailgate, painted and clear coated. I also have all the hinges done.
« Last Edit: 01/22/10 - 11:36AM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #121 on: 01/25/10 - 12:09PM »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #122 on: 01/25/10 - 12:46PM »
Nice fab work! Keep it up  8)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #123 on: 01/25/10 - 12:58PM »
thanks Caleb.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #124 on: 01/25/10 - 01:02PM »
Nice old avatar pic Jimmy. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #125 on: 01/25/10 - 02:37PM »
I'm not knocking your work or choice, but when you have that much tire sticking out are the short steel flares gonna do any good?  Or is it just a completed look for front and rear you were going for?
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #126 on: 01/25/10 - 03:32PM »
IMO - even tho there is still tire sticking out from under those flares they will still keep the whole side of jeep having mud thrown all over it, it should keep most of the mud coming off the tires approx. 4" (or however wide they are) away from the body . I say sweet idea, and a sweet look.
EMAW

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #127 on: 01/25/10 - 04:28PM »
They are 3". Of course they'll do good, they'll protect the side of the Jeep if I should get wedged up against any kind of obstacle on the trail and protect the paint from rocks kicked up by the tires on and off road. They'll also help to keep mud/water out of the tub... Without them it's basically a straight shot for it to fly in, which is what happened the few times I've had it out. Especially in the front; I'll be adding 3" flares to the front fenders I built also. I need to finish these rear corners/flares, add the steps to my rockers (bent them up this weekend), and then the front flares. I can then paint everything, including the flames, and start focusing on the suspension or the console and dash I going to build, which ever I decided to tackle first.

Offline JacksFork

• SMORR
  • Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #128 on: 01/25/10 - 08:11PM »
LOL....try covering 46" tall by 20" wide tires.....do they make flares that big. Never mind, not looking for a gay answer. Your shit is looking good man.....Proud of ya. I just break my shit and have someone else fix it. Not rich by any means but i would have to give up the sport if i started wrenching or doing fab work  :102: . Plus i can proudly say i help stimulate the economy on a regular basis lol ( blew up my 4th turbo 400 2 weeks ago ) I have all ready rolled mine since the rebuild ( the cage is good folks   >:D )..... Hurry up and finish that thing for SMORR Froze over and the big meat run. I should have my junk back together soon.

I like the color as well.....i have seen something similar to it on a rig somewhere :39:

O and i deduct 2 point for the round head lights LMAO  :deadhorse:

See ya soon.

Brandon
SMORR
« Last Edit: 01/25/10 - 08:21PM by JacksFork »
SOUTHERN MISSOURI OFF ROAD RANCH
http://www.smorr.net

CHECK OUT OUR FACEBOOK FAN PAGE!!
http://smorr.net/facebook

Offline j2sax

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #129 on: 01/26/10 - 10:56AM »
Good Job Man!  I have been "lurking" on this one, but had to send you props for the work and color choice!

Are you a trained paint man or do you attribute the nice finish to the paint equipment?  I have been kind of scared to paint my J10 Stepside as I have never painted before, but some say it's a breeze as long as  you keep it clean... your opinion? 

Do well,

Jesse
Jesse, Near Sparta, MO FSJ/AMC Freak<br />Wag w/ 6" lift 360/727/229 (208 soon) <br />2 J10s, 2 J20s, 4 Door J20 Project, Lots of Wags<br />73 Commando on Wag Frame, 79 AMX, Several Eagles

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #130 on: 01/26/10 - 12:10PM »
IMO - even tho there is still tire sticking out from under those flares they will still keep the whole side of jeep having mud thrown all over it, it should keep most of the mud coming off the tires approx. 4" (or however wide they are) away from the body . I say sweet idea, and a sweet look.

Thanks Garret, that was part of my reasoning for building them.

Your shit is looking good man.....Proud of ya.

Hurry up and finish that thing for SMORR Froze over and the big meat run.

I like the color as well.....i have seen something similar to it on a rig somewhere :39:

O and i deduct 2 point for the round head lights LMAO  :deadhorse:

Thank ya Brandon... I won't have it done by SMORR Froze Over but should be out there anyway with the Cherokee, I'm gonna shoot for the Big Meat Run in March with the CJ.

That 2pt round headlight deduction should be a bonus instead!  :P

Good Job Man!  I have been "lurking" on this one, but had to send you props for the work and color choice!

Are you a trained paint man or do you attribute the nice finish to the paint equipment?  I have been kind of scared to paint my J10 Stepside as I have never painted before, but some say it's a breeze as long as  you keep it clean... your opinion? 

Do well,

Jesse

Thanks Jesse, I am by no means a trained paint man in the sense you're talking about, but I will say I've screwed up a few times and learned from that. haha. Everything I've needed to know I've learned by talking to people who have done it, like Crazy Larry, I've learned a lot from him. It's really not that difficult to paint, it's the prep that takes so much time and determines what the final outcome will be like; and if you don't do it right and take certain precautions then it'll turn out like crap. You definitely have to have the surface clean before you start spraying. I don't have any expensive painting equipment. I have a $350 Craftsman compressor and a $60 HVLP paint and detail gun from Harbor Freight. This equipment wouldn't work well at all for painting a huge surface like a tractor trailer, but for my little Jeep panels and hood, it's more than enough to get the job done... and the most important thing I have learned about painting is that you can't rush it... Let it dry and then let it dry again... haha. before you go getting all happy about it or else you'll screw it up. As far as the flames go, I learned how to do that from Jason Harris who painted my Rubicon. This is the first time I have ever painted a vehicle in this manner (spray bombed many), so I'm going to hope for the best and if it don't turn out the way I want it to, then I'll sand it down and try again until I get it how I want it. I think I'll be fine and it's going to turn out sweet the first time.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Project Ruby Lee 2
« Reply #131 on: 01/26/10 - 02:38PM »
It's time for a name change on my thread.  8)

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #132 on: 01/26/10 - 02:51PM »
But she's not a Rubi... isn't that sacrilage?
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #133 on: 01/26/10 - 03:40PM »
My Grandma's name was Ruby Lee, that's why the Rubicon had the name, so no sacrilege here.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #134 on: 02/ 4/10 - 02:01PM »
moving on to the passenger side.