Author Topic: Project Ruby Lee 2  (Read 38080 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Project Ruby Lee 2
« Reply #150 on: 05/28/10 - 05:18PM »
Here's some progress pics. Basically I've got the tub base coat done (3 coats), plus 2 coats of clear. I'm in the process of and ready to repaint the tailgate and all hinges, etc.. tonight since they do not match. I did those with spray cans a while back.. they look real nice, but don't match the paint for the gun... just a little off tint, but too much for my taste. I've got a little sanding left to do on the hood and the fenders I built before I paint them; and I still need to repaint and clear coat the cage with the Dk Shadow Grey Metallic. Afterward I'll put it all back together and go ahead and do the flames, then I'll add at least 3 more coats of clear. (scratch resistance!) I also bought some new tail lights, steering wheel, and have a sheet of aluminum tread-plate I'm going to jazz somethings up with. After I'm done with the paint, I'm going move on to the console or the suspension. Frame also needs much attention... that's on the soon to do list.

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #151 on: 05/28/10 - 11:35PM »
looking good Jimmy.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline 90finder

• Level 3
« Reply #152 on: 05/29/10 - 02:46AM »
Wow! I'm loving that color and your fab work is so clean.  8)
1993 Pathfinder - SAS, 37's, EXO, and some other junk....

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #153 on: 06/ 1/10 - 11:45AM »
Thanks guys.

I got to do some more yesterday. The underneath of the hood had some type of tar or something on it, plus a lot of rust towards the front. So I broke out the sandblaster and took care of business; it cleaned up nice. I stopped when I witnessed what appears to be Marge Simpson's sister Patty. I stood in awe... and then blasted her away.  :P

Can you see Patty Simpson?

No clear coat here. Not clearing the underneath of hood.

Misc items.

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #154 on: 06/ 1/10 - 11:46PM »
I don't see Patty, but I do see Kermit the frog!
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline mrfast

• Director of Photography
  • Level 4
« Reply #155 on: 06/ 2/10 - 06:23PM »
What are you guys smokin 8) I don't see anything!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #156 on: 07/ 7/10 - 03:43PM »
Here's a little update on the Jeep. I've got kind of burn out there for a bit, but found some motivation tucked away and used it up last week.

Found a CJ Dash for free, compliments of Phil. (thanks)
I was going to use all the old gauges but decided a set of backlit gauges instead of dull old faintly illuminated CJ gauges would be much cooler while still maintaining a flat dash and clean look. I bought some Red 194bulbs instead of using the colored bulb cap. They don't look as good IMO.

Old crotchety dash.

Here is a few of the almost finished dash. I cut out a piece of steel from an old hood and filled in the speedometer hole, then cut 2 new holes for the tach and new speedo, plus 2 additional holes for fuel and water temp. I didn't take pics of all that, but you get the jest. Anyway, ALOT of sanding, primering, little bondo, and some painting... dash is all pretty and installed. Gauges are all working, save for the fuel gauge, I have to drop the tank this weekend to fix issue with sending unit. I'm also going to have to fab up a dash support for the center section of the dash; no big deal, I got the idea in my head and will knock it out this weekend too. also need to figure out something for the defrost vents but am not really concerned about it that much since I have a topless rig. Once done with this I can finally get my cage back in and start on the console.

I plan to build a slightly raised toggle switch panel that will to go over the top of the cutouts to the right of the steering wheel; that I can use for various stuffs.

Glove compartment installed, still have to add the grab handle and clean up some wiring.

This pic don't do much justice, they are really a nice red in the dark.

Offline tcrouth

• Level 1
« Reply #157 on: 02/ 5/11 - 12:58AM »
Well if ur ever in need of a third or fourth hand let me know! I'm down for helpen

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #158 on: 02/ 7/11 - 10:50AM »
thanks travis, I'll keep ya in mind. This beotch is about ready to hit the trails again. I've got some updates to post up when I get time.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #159 on: 02/13/11 - 04:46PM »
Here's a few pics of some things I got done this weekend; the warm weather made for a productive garage day...

stuck some of the decals I had made

Painted and clear coated cage to match the color of the Jeep; looks black in pics but it's not.

This is how I had done the rear of the cage before

I opened the back of the cage back up.. decided I didn't like it all closed up and probably went a little overkill on the cage when I did it... so now it's nice and open; plenty of cargo room and still plenty strong.

I also cut out the body-bars I had done before and redid them... Now I could fit doors on the Jeep if only I hadn't sold mine.

Going to get the cage back in this week; and get the tube fenders, hood and grill ready to paint this weekend.

« Last Edit: 02/14/11 - 12:30PM by LoneWolf »

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #160 on: 02/15/11 - 08:11AM »
Cage going back in, redneck hoist setup worked great all 3 times I've had this in and out; though I think I'll upgrade it should I use it again.  :17:

Really need to hose out the tub; it look like butt in this pic.

Gap above dash looks big; buts it's only 4.5", same gap as a stock CJ dash if I can find one on the cheap, otherwise I'll build my own.

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #161 on: 02/15/11 - 08:41AM »
Soooo, Jimmy, are we going to see her this weekend at SMORR?  You're surely not going to take that pretty JK thru all of that mud!
Mo Printer

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #162 on: 02/15/11 - 08:53AM »
hahaha. You're correct; the new Ruby will be sticking to the mild trails for a while; at least until i can get it up on 35's. If I can get a few odds and ends wrapped up on this, and get someone to haul it out there, yes... but the front-end won't be painted by then.

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #163 on: 02/17/11 - 10:12AM »
Jimmy - I have a CJ dash pad that I will give you.  It is in my attic and maybe you can use it on yours.  You will have to vinyl dye it, but it is the right price! :)
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #164 on: 02/17/11 - 10:46AM »
Thank you Brad! I like that price. Will come by and get it. I'm going to have to figure out the business of the windshield wiper motor; because the cutout is different isn't it? I have a CJ windshield frame that I planned on using, but it won't fit right, at least with the rubber YJ gasket that goes on the bottom, I already bought it new and don't want to buy one again. Larry gave me a YJ dash top, but to use it I'll have to cut it up and drill holes in the flat of my dash... and it's gonna leave some things looking unfinished which will make me loose sleep; so I'm currently sanding down, cleaning up and doing some body work on the windshield frame that came off of it.
« Last Edit: 02/17/11 - 10:48AM by LoneWolf »