Author Topic: Project Ruby Lee 2  (Read 38065 times)

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: CJ Dovetail... continued.
« Reply #90 on: 11/25/09 - 12:48PM »
I've had it out 3 times since we traded. No pics. Used to take pictures like crazy back in the day, but just don't bother to do it anymore. I guess I need to. This jeep does good, just a little hi-geared right now for rock crawling. I have 4.88s going in it; just haven;t got there yet. Right now I'm in the process of painting it with a Ford color called Shadow Grey Metallic. I can then clear coat it so that I could take it out some, or start taping out my flames. I think I'll wait till the flames are done, since that helps you to wheel better and makes you look damn good doing it. :P I also need to replace the front leafs, the passenger shock, finish building my dual-battery tray, paint or powder coat the wheels, pull cage and fix rust in floor, herculine the floor, tie front of cage to frame, repaint cage with shadow grey color and then I think I'll start taking it out. Here a few pics... it's all I got right now.

Fenders and tailgate painted and ready for clear coat.

painting in process

another

« Last Edit: 11/25/09 - 12:50PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #91 on: 11/25/09 - 01:09PM »
Not bad man.  What color will you outline flames?  That jeep really was almost a charcoal grey when Larry and I were talking about it before.  I like the color you chose.

I'm the same way this time around with pics.  Jeeps been out twice and not a single pic.  Haven't even taken the camera.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #92 on: 11/25/09 - 01:19PM »
The flames will be a Ford color as well, called Ebony. Black obviously. I'm going to wait to see what it looks like with no outlines so I'm not sure, but I'm thinking if I did outline them that a silver color would look good or maybe a color somewhere in between the black and grey too would look nice and keep it subtle. I'll cross that bridge after the flames are done.

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #93 on: 01/ 7/10 - 05:31AM »
Got any updates? Any front and side shots of the new paint job?
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #94 on: 01/10/10 - 11:57PM »
I been doing a lot to the Jeep; just haven't kept up with the thread. I had to stop on the paint, otherwise I would have to do more painting later. I'd rather just do it right now and then finish the paint and be done with it. So... I do have the base coat on but it is not cleared yet, so it's not a shiny as it will be.

kind of where it is at right now. The fenders are not tighten or aligned up just slapped on there. It's  the only pic I have.

I've blacked out the wheels. Not really sure how the paint on these will last once I start wheeling it. Guess I'll find out.

Right now the jeep is all tore apart as I am fixing the tub from rust and getting ready to Herculine it.

Cage is out and just taking up space right now.

These are the pics of the bad floor than needs replaced before I can herculine.
Rusty Floor at the drivers side B-pillar...

More rusty floor at the drivers side front.

I chopped and cut and cut and chopped. ALL RUST ERADICATED.  :17: Pretty sure I got it all.

I had to cut out the mounting brackets for the floor part of the bpillar cage foot. I tried to drill them out but it was just rusted too badly.

I then made some new brackets to weld in out of some 1/4" I had laying around.

I cut and bent several pieces to match the the flow of the floor and whatnot as best as I could. The rest of these pics are just different shots of what all I had to replace. I sealed everything top and bottom with anti-rust sealant and am using seam sealer on the underneath. Will post pics of that up after I get it done.

I also had to replace a lot of the side panel; because it was rusting out.. paint was bubbling up underneath.  I cut it out and replaced it, i replaced the rusted metal and am not too worried about sanding smooth for paint since it's getting covered with 3/16 plate after the tub is herculined.

Everything is welded solid on the inside, sealed with anti-rust sealer, will be primed, sanded, and then herculined. Underneath is sealed with the anti-rust sealer and will be sealed on top of that with automotive seam sealer, then primed and painted. I still have to grind down some boogery welds and fill in where the cage mounts are at. Hopefully this will be the last of the rust for many years. I did not overlap any of the new metal I put in; it is cut to size and made to fit... save for the long piece running along the threshold. It's going to be covered by my rocker so I didn't worry too much about it.

Offline Jeeper guy

• Level 3
  • OINK
« Reply #95 on: 01/11/10 - 12:47AM »
I like the newly painted h2 wheels. What's the plan for the front of the tube fenders? Are you gunna build a bumper/radiator hoop from those? or just cap them or something else?
First you crawl, then you walk, then you drive, then you crawl again....

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #96 on: 01/11/10 - 09:35AM »
Looks Pimp!!  8)
EMAW

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #97 on: 01/11/10 - 10:30AM »
I've already bent up a hoop and stinger. The hoop is already welded to the winch plate and ties into the fenders. I haven't finished the stinger yet (welding) but all my pieces are ready. Just got to finish some other things first

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #98 on: 01/11/10 - 11:07AM »
As long as you used etching primer on the wheels you should be good man.  I had some for those but waited so long it went bad.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #99 on: 01/11/10 - 11:35AM »
I just roughed them up with 220 and sprayed them. If it doesn't work out.. I'll remember "etching primer" next time around.  Never heard of it but will check it out.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #100 on: 01/11/10 - 03:23PM »
Looking good Jimmy.

Offline map93heep

• Level 3
« Reply #101 on: 01/11/10 - 04:29PM »
It my end up too NICE to wheel Jimmy. I like it.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #102 on: 01/14/10 - 01:54PM »
The rust made it's last stand under the drivers seat. I called in the Major for reinforcements and it was eradicated.  :P

Gonna finish prep tonight and tomorrow and spray the Herc down on Saturday.

Major, my new GSD, 8 weeks old.

The last of the rust... was just a small spot but I didn't want to just Herculine over it.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #103 on: 01/19/10 - 11:52AM »
Tub is herculined. Turned out nice.. hard to tell from pics though.

Also started on my corners.
I cut everything out with my hand held orbital saw and and angle grinder w/cutoff wheels. A plasma would have been VERY handy and saved me some time and grinding... you do what you can with what you got. For hardware, I plan to counter sink black allen heads.

I angle the joints at 45deg so the weld puddle has a place to go. I have no way to bend a radius so I cut a section of 1.75dom tubing out and welding it in with the 3/16 plate. It's a little thinner but not enough to really matter.

I have the tail light piece done too and will snap some pics of it tonight.
« Last Edit: 01/19/10 - 12:00PM by LoneWolf »

Offline calebsxj

• Level 1
« Reply #104 on: 01/19/10 - 03:51PM »
Sweet! Looking good Jimmy  8)