Author Topic: Windshield Armor  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
Windshield Armor
« on: 01/22/09 - 04:47PM »
Jimmy, really sorry to bring up bad thoughts but I remember you saying something about those windshield "braces" you had on during the roll.  Did  they hold up well reinforcing the windshield from crushing?  I know they aren't a replacement for a front bar extension.  Did you have a front cage bars?  Where did you get them?  thanks!
« Last Edit: 01/28/09 - 01:34AM by whitehead »
ud is good

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Whitehead - question on roll over
« Reply #1 on: 01/22/09 - 04:49PM »
I think Jimmy just "flopped" no full roll. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 01/22/09 - 04:51PM »
Rubber up is bad.
ud is good

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 01/22/09 - 04:55PM »
Rubber up is bad.  Just pointing out that there isn't near as much load on the parts you mentioned when just flopped.  I've put mine on side twice with little damage.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 01/22/09 - 05:05PM »
where did you get'em?
ud is good

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 01/22/09 - 05:07PM »
where did you get'em?

I don't run them.  I've seen them on Jimmy's so he'd have to tell you. 

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 01/22/09 - 05:11PM »
Oh, sorry, I thought you ment you had them when you flopped.  I just remember looking at his and they seemed to be a good idea.
ud is good

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #7 on: 01/22/09 - 05:12PM »
I can't see how they would add much "structure" to it, but they would limit a big dent etc from your windshield frame. 

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 01/22/09 - 05:17PM »
I saw some pictures of a JK that rolled.  Now, he really needed the front roll bar extentions to provide more safety, but even with those, I thought those "re-enforcements" would reduce damage on lesser side flops like you mentioned.  Didn't look like they would be too expensive.
ud is good

Offline highsociety

• Level 4
« Reply #9 on: 01/22/09 - 06:08PM »
Tiff those come from Gen-right offroad I believe.  I have flipped mine and would suggest gettting a front arm kit.  I think the one I used to run came from M.O.R.E. gen-right also has a kit that is beefier than the MORE kit.  THe more kit held up to 3 hard rolls in one day but then we needed to do some fixes.  Here's a link to their cage.
http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GRC2002

and one to the windshield protectors

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=GRC2002
2009 Sponsors:
S&S Auto, Staun, Corbeau, Clayton Offroad, Edmonds Dental Prosthetics, Kching, Indian Ridge Resort, Ballzout Lifstyle, John's 4x4, Brown Dog Industries

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 01/22/09 - 06:14PM »
I do like the looks of their kit.  Especially the bracket that mounts to the floor.  I like the flat top more then the angled ones.  But, think $700 just for the materials is $$?  I realize they are cut to fit already, but $700 worth?
ud is good

Offline highsociety

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: 01/22/09 - 06:20PM »
Well it seesm high but look at posion spyder or most other kits predesigned.  MORE is cheaper and is different design.  Cuts down on leg room and easiness of exiting and entering. 
2009 Sponsors:
S&S Auto, Staun, Corbeau, Clayton Offroad, Edmonds Dental Prosthetics, Kching, Indian Ridge Resort, Ballzout Lifstyle, John's 4x4, Brown Dog Industries

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #12 on: 01/22/09 - 07:18PM »
I did just flop, but the windshield frame protectors save my frame big time I hit right on it... they are well worth it, I've smacked that part of my jeep more than once and every time they have held up, they are a heck of a lot thicker than the sheet metal from Jeep. I would say they do ad some rigidity to the frame and would save your frame with a mild flop and and perhaps a soft rollover. I got mine from http://nolimits4x4.com they're like $129/pair
« Last Edit: 01/23/09 - 12:32PM by whitehead »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Tiff

• Level 1
« Reply #13 on: 01/23/09 - 10:29AM »
Having trouble with that link???
ud is good

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #14 on: 01/23/09 - 12:33PM »
it's fixed now. http://nolimits4x4.com
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.