Author Topic: TJ mid-arms  (Read 6772 times)

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
TJ mid-arms
« on: 02/ 7/10 - 05:34PM »
Figured I'd post my mid-arm build over here. Progress will be pretty slow but I plan on finishing it up over SMORR Froze Over weekend. I've got Clayton 4 link frame brackets, and a Truss for the 8.8. Axle LCA brackets are on their way from Ballistic Fab. The uppers are almost done and will sit around 32". Next I'll do the lowers which will be around 26" on the Jeep.

So far:

And now two identical uppers.

Stay tuned.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: TJ mid-arms
« Reply #1 on: 02/ 7/10 - 11:21PM »
looking good Taylor.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 02/ 8/10 - 01:10AM »
Thanks Jimmy.

Oh, and this is the "massaged metal" you mentioned on facebook.  8)

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 03/ 9/10 - 01:47AM »
The frame and 8.8 are finally stripped of brackets, and the arms are done. Tomorrow I start mocking it up and putting it together.

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 03/12/10 - 06:51PM »
I'm gonna copy the rest of this from my build thread on JF.

Got the lca mounts and the truss tacked on the axle today.

Then mocked up the links. The lca mounts were to far apart so after this I fixed that.

Then this came.

A little surface rusty but it all wiped off so I sprayed it down with liquid wrench and put it back in the box to wait until I can afford a regear.

We eventually got the axle under the jeep and lined up, did a flex test and all that and it works except the uppers are a tad bit to long so I'll shorten them tomorrow, and get all the brackets burned into place. Where the lower arms are adjusted right now the diff cover rubs the gas tank but I'm going to let it because there is room for self clearancing and as it is I gained around 2" wheelbase. Hopefully the paint will be drying overnight and then it'll finally be put back together Thursday.

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 03/12/10 - 06:52PM »
Everything is welded and the Rustoleum semi-gloss is drying overnight. In the morning the links get bolted in, and the brake lines ran. After that the most time consuming part should be getting the links adjusted to the right lengths, but I should get to test drive it on Friday and make sure it's all ready for wheeling on Saturday.

Pics.

Uppers

Lowers

Axle

Frame mounts

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 03/12/10 - 06:54PM »
On to the progress pics...they're crappy cell pics but still.

And it's done now. Took it out and drove it around town for a bit, and it drives great. I also took it to Best Discount Muffler to get an exhaust hanger put on. So it's all done and I'm really happy with it so far.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 03/13/10 - 02:21PM »
Couple questions.
Is that truss a Clayton piece too?
Is that 2x2x1/4" tube?
What did you use for threaded adapters?
Was the locker new or used, why was it so rusty?

Looks good, nice work.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #8 on: 03/13/10 - 07:15PM »
Looks great Taylor, can't wait to see it in person.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #9 on: 03/13/10 - 08:56PM »
Couple more questions.
Do you wear Old Spice?
Is Rustoleum good for bad breath?
Do hampsters keep you up at night?

Just curious.
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: 03/14/10 - 04:30AM »
Couple questions.
Is that truss a Clayton piece too?
Yes

Is that 2x2x1/4" tube?
Right again

What did you use for threaded adapters?
Clayton threaded inserts

Was the locker new or used, why was it so rusty?
The locker has never been used, but the guy I got it from had it sitting around since sometime in '06 according to the label on the box. I guess it just got dry and that's where the rust came from. It all wiped off pretty easy, and I bathed it in liquid wrench before I put it back in it's box.

Looks good, nice work.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I took it out to SMORR today and couldn't be happier with it so far.

Offline goldswim5

• Level 2
« Reply #11 on: 03/15/10 - 12:42PM »
Went wheeling over the weekend, and I couldn't be happier with the setup. No more bouncing around searching for traction on hillclimbs, it just feels planted. And it flexes a lot better too, I was able to get a lot farther up the RTI ramp than before. I don't have that pic yet but I should soon.

I've got a lot less stuff hanging down from the axle now. Once I outboard the shocks I won't have anything.