Author Topic: 2001 Jeep Wrangler Bumper Build  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Fred

• Level 2
2001 Jeep Wrangler Bumper Build
« on: 02/27/10 - 10:23PM »
Well I didn't get any pictures prior to this but I will post what I have. the Owner wanted something beside the CRAPPY jeep tube style bumper he had. He wanted something simple yet a little different. The below is what we came up with. He came up with the angles he wanted and cut them I modded the winch plate and all the welding, and some fabbing work.

It started with 2 2x3 tubes. I welded them together and then he cut his angles. It started life 59" wide but I talked him into shortening it. It is now 54" wide. We figured sinking the windh mount into the bumper would be something different and would really look cool. Because of sinking it we will have to cut two small access holes to be able to get bolts in for a winch. As you can see I tacked the front of the 2 pieces and fully welded the back. I will weld the front and he will grind it then I will reweld and regrind to give it a Smooth look when painted. In the near furure we will add weld thru shackle mounts and maybe a receiver. For the top the winch mount is the bumper mount for the bottom the mounts will be 2 pieces of 2x2 Angle Iron cut a little to fit.

I know this is a basic bumper and maybe welds are not impressive to some but this is my first build and I think I did OK, I can guaruntee they are strong. You will see pix of two welds one not as nice as the other. The not so nice one I tried pushing the weld then I pulled the weld and it looked alot nicer. The welding was donr with a Lincoln 100 (110V Welder) with .35 wire and Argon Gas

The space where the plate is welded to the bumper I had to fill about a 1/4" in places. I cut it with a plasma cutter and I should have used a guide to cut straight but oh well live and learn
pushed weld

pulled weld

the bumper

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: 2001 Jeep Wrangler Bumper Build
« Reply #1 on: 03/ 3/10 - 11:24AM »
Looks like it'll hold and the fact that you're doing it yourself makes it all the better. Post up some pics of the finished product.
Keep at it Fred and don't worry about what your welds look like. Isn't anyone on here qualified to judge your welding.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 03/ 3/10 - 11:16PM »
Yep doing it myself and not even for MY JEEP!!! I almost finished the rear bumper (building both) and the rear has a 2" receiver in it. All that has to be done with the rear is grinding, mounts, primer, paint, spray bed liner.

The front is mounted to the jeep but still needs to be boxed in. The owner wanted a bumper on the jeep for the week. Once boxed in the front will just require the same stuff as the rear minus mounts. The builds were relatively easy just time consuming. My biggest concern was the strenth of the receiver and I think I got that nailed. I put the 2" receiver thru the bumper and I beefed it up to ensure it will never come out. It is welded thru the bumper. First I welded the back side. Then I cut a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 square into a 4x4 flat steel plate (like for mounting a Roll cage) I fitted that over the back side and welded it on. Next I welded the inside (the top of the bumper is cut for looks) this allowed me to weld the inside, once it was welded I added a piece of C Channel Inside the bumper , that brought me to the front whitch I welded ground, and rewelded. Finally when I boxxed it in I used 1/8" 2x2 angle iron cut to 2" strips, this covered the opening nicely and really added some beef and to top it all off I cut 2 pieces of 1" x 1/4" thick Flat Stock about 3" long and welded them on each side of the back. Once done I am going to cut one of the 4x4 plates diagonally and put a triangle gussett on each side on the front and these gussets will receive a one-two inch hole to use assaftey chain latches if he ever does tow a trailer.

Pix of both finished products will definatly be posted.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 03/ 4/10 - 12:02AM »
sounds like one stout bumper. You're right about this stuff being time consuming!  :P worth it in the end though.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 03/13/10 - 12:59AM »
OK these are a week or so late and since these PIX were taked I have finished the rear bumper minus mounts because I need his jeep in order to correctly do mounts and I finished the front except for boxing the ends in and I will do that tomorrow or Sunday

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 03/13/10 - 01:00AM »
and the rear

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 03/14/10 - 09:37PM »
I can say I will NEVER do this much work for someone else with being payed 

Updated PICs, both bumpers are 95% done.

The front just needs some grinding work, a weld across the front, some touch up welds, and of course primer/paint.

The rear just needs the same as the front and the center mounts need to be welded.

Although not forever both bumper are on the jeep until the owner takes them off to work on them

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 04/ 8/10 - 01:46PM »
Forgot to post finished pix of these.

Here they are done, primed, and painted (bed liner)