Author Topic: Trailer Fender Rebuild  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Fred

• Level 2
Trailer Fender Rebuild
« on: 04/23/10 - 07:45PM »
Well last trip I went on I was backing off the trailer and my tire just touched the fenders and they crushed. The original fenders were aluminum

and because of the aluminum being so flimsy I couldn't walk on them either so long story short they HAD to go. Well the plan is to make simple steel fenders that I can drive over if needed. This is the idea behind the finished product

Today I removed the aluminum fenders and after cleaning everything up I framed out the drivers side fender. No PIX yet, PIX to follow tomorrow when I finish them or at least finish framing them

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Trailer Fender Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: 04/23/10 - 08:47PM »
I need to do some for mine too. They're not aluminum and you can drive on them, but they are braced in the center and the fender metal is maybe 14 gauge; so they dented up.  Anyway... Nice trailer upgrade. Thanks for sharing Fred. And looks like you put about all the jeep you can on that trailer. :-)   
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 04/24/10 - 09:41AM »
It doesn't go like that, it was an experiment.....

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 04/30/10 - 09:15PM »
OK havent updated in a while so here it is. One side is completely done minus skins. I drove the jeep up on it today and it didn't even budge. Hopefully I will finish the other side early next week.
PIX:

Offline 90finder

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 05/ 1/10 - 12:07AM »
Looking good!
1993 Pathfinder - SAS, 37's, EXO, and some other junk....

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 05/ 1/10 - 02:55AM »
Hey Fred, is there no brace on the outer edge of the fender? Maybe between the fenders, diagonal down to the frame? Maybe it's not needed since they are pretty stout anyway. I can't tell from the pics if you have a brace in there or not.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Fred

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 05/ 1/10 - 11:04AM »
I am going to brace the outer edge with an angel down to the frame. I just didn't get there yet. Also a guy on Pirate pointed out with the angle flipped like it is it may hold water and moisture so I may drill a few holes in that