Author Topic: Project "Wing-It"  (Read 14622 times)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Project "Wing-It"
« Reply #15 on: 10/22/09 - 02:26PM »
Yes that's how it's done, but most people spin balance them after.

If it were me I'd find the $200 or so and get 1 pieces.  The 2 piece design will fail and fail bad.  Do that weld up the rear and go play with it for a while. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #16 on: 10/22/09 - 02:32PM »
And what you can't spin balance them with U-joints in them? You can surely do better than $200 can't ya?
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #17 on: 10/22/09 - 03:39PM »
For the ones here that are returns ya I'm sure I can.  You can take and have it balanced with joints in it.  Was just getting to the fact you need it balanced to drive.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #18 on: 10/22/09 - 03:57PM »
Well to be honest with you I thought they would cut the drive shaft in the middle to lengthen it - is that not how they do it?

yes you are correct, Go to driveline specialties on Glenstone. they'll replace the center section and your drive-shaft will be good to go with the NEW joints you just put in and yes you can spin balance them with the the joints in, they'll do it there for a couple extra bucks. Will cost you somewhere around $80 balance and lengthened.
« Last Edit: 10/22/09 - 04:00PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #19 on: 10/22/09 - 04:44PM »
Sweet! Next question - With the way I have it mocked up right now is that close enough to take my measurement for my drive shaft length? If so how do I get that measurement (I measure from where to where)? :106:
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #20 on: 10/22/09 - 04:47PM »
Most have you measure from ujoint seat to ujoint seat (where the caps sit in the yoke).  To get it right you need the weight on the rig and the axle under it.  Then when you drop it off you give them your measurement and tell them that's at ride height (even slip both directions).

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #21 on: 10/22/09 - 05:00PM »
(even slip both directions).

Meaning I want it to compress equal to what it will extend? :106:
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #22 on: 10/22/09 - 05:19PM »
Bingo.  Most stock shafts have about 4" of travel.  So I usually setup with 2" either way at ride height. Most rear suspensions won't use more than 1" either way, but I like a margin for error.

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #23 on: 10/22/09 - 05:58PM »
"git r done"!!! :255_driving:
EMAW

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #24 on: 10/26/09 - 10:06PM »
dont waste your money on one piece axles...blow that model 20 up and replace with atleast a dana 44, scout rear and find a wide track 30 front....I know someone that has one for sale, within the next month     :)

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #25 on: 10/27/09 - 01:19PM »
Made a little more progress last night on the gas tank housing, so I thought I would share a few photos!
I welded some pieces of angle to the inner tub to bolt the tank housing to.

Another pic of the angle supports.

This is the housing I decided to fab up to bolt to the angle supports.

Another pic of the housing, it is built out of 11 gauge flat steel.

I set it in place after I finished all the welds to see how it was gonna fit.

Another shot from the other side.

I spent a fair amount of time pondering where i wanted to put the filler neck, and decided to locate it at the very back of the housing. I am a little concerned that the back of the back seat (once installed again) will interfere with the pump handle when trying to fill it up, so I am going to make the seat so that it will hinge at the front so I can easily flip it up when I am filling with gas.

Still getting familiar with the new mig (so keep you comments on my welds to yourself  :258_f_u:), but it sure is nice to be able to when I want to.
« Last Edit: 10/27/09 - 01:23PM by gdowling »
EMAW

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #26 on: 10/27/09 - 02:09PM »
That looks really good. Plan to do something similar myself at some point...  Will be a heck of a lot cheaper than a fuel cell.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #27 on: 10/27/09 - 02:16PM »
Thanks - yea so far the cost has been relatively low. FYI if I had it to do over I probably would not cut the hole in the tub, I think I would just relocate the whole tank to the bed and build a frame to sit it in. The only reason I didnt do it that way was because I want to be able to utilize the back seat, and had I done it that way the seat would have been a minimum of 4 inches higher creating alot of interference with the cage I want to build some day! But all in all I am liking the way it has turned out so far!
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #28 on: 10/27/09 - 02:51PM »
Now it's time for the pics of compcut and stretch!

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #29 on: 10/27/09 - 03:17PM »
Yea that is coming - not sure I am going to comp-cut it though it might end up looking kind of stupid since I am only on 33's. Probably going to end up cutting it more like what jimmy did on his CJ/YJ (crossbreed), until I upgrade axles to support at least 37's.
EMAW