Author Topic: Project "Wing-It"  (Read 14625 times)

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Project "Wing-It"
« Reply #30 on: 10/27/09 - 03:22PM »
I know where there are some 36" SX's.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #31 on: 10/27/09 - 03:47PM »
I dont have enough axle for 36's!
EMAW

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #32 on: 10/29/09 - 01:17PM »
Ok, I got the bumper remounted and the shackle hangers tacked in place to get a better feel for what the shackle angle would be with all the weight on the springs.

So, looking for some thoughts on the shackle angle(to straight up and down, etc)? Some things to keep in mind, there are no bushings in the shackle hangers so that will change it a little, and the gas tank is not in the jeep(less weight).

So I originally thought the stretch was gonna give me about 5"-6" of stretch but I think its gonna be closer to 9" (maybe I'll have to comp-cut it :106:)!

« Last Edit: 10/29/09 - 01:25PM by gdowling »
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #33 on: 10/29/09 - 02:24PM »
Just comp cut it you pussy. 

I personally like a shackle tilted in the direction you have it about 10 degrees.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #34 on: 10/29/09 - 02:33PM »
Just comp cut it you pussy.
:laughing_out_loud:

I personally like a shackle tilted in the direction you have it about 10 degrees.

Ten more degrees or ten degrees off straight up and down? What do you think mine is??
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #35 on: 10/29/09 - 02:56PM »
Yours will be fine, if that was with full weight in it.  I would lessen the angle a bit if your doing mock up without full weight.

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #36 on: 11/ 2/09 - 12:43PM »
Here are some more pictures with the tires on, full weight on axle, and the side panel cut! :o

So now I have created more work for my self as there is some inner fender well that is going to have to come out, and some wires are going to have to be relocated - DAMN kind of getting burned out!
EMAW

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #37 on: 11/ 2/09 - 12:48PM »
Also both the parking brake cables are going to have to be extended - anyone else had to do this? Do I have to take the drum apart to do it? Do I just measure how long they need to be and then go somewhere and have them give me the one that is relatively close to that measurement? :106:
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #38 on: 11/ 2/09 - 01:48PM »
I'd measure how long you need and then search the proper length on line by application. 

You shouldn't be burnt out yet, lol.  Oh and your jeep needs bigger tires! LOL

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #39 on: 11/ 2/09 - 01:54PM »
I'd measure how long you need and then search the proper length on line by application. 

You shouldn't be burnt out yet, lol.  Oh and your jeep needs bigger tires! LOL

Ok

I know  - you have some 36" IROKS for $100 right??
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #40 on: 11/ 2/09 - 01:57PM »
I don't own any IROKS anymore.  I traded them for little tires to help someone out. 

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #41 on: 11/ 2/09 - 05:37PM »
Next question - So in order to figure out what shocks I need basically I need to find a way to get one of the rear tires stuffed up into the fender and then measure from shock stud to shock stud and that will give me the maximum length of the whole shock at full compression right? If not - how????
« Last Edit: 11/ 2/09 - 05:39PM by gdowling »
EMAW

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #42 on: 11/ 2/09 - 05:50PM »
That's pretty much it, or you can measure what length is at ride height, and the amount of compression you want and just search until you find it.  Then you will have the remaining length for droop. 

Offline gdowling

• Level 2
« Reply #43 on: 11/ 3/09 - 11:19AM »
So for anyone that cares, I took my drive shaft to "Driveline Solutions" on north glenstone yesterday and they charged me $60 to lenghten it and $35 to balance it for a grand total of $102! :o
EMAW

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #44 on: 11/ 3/09 - 12:03PM »
that's about right. heck of alot cheaper than buying a new one. it was $80+change to lengthened mine 2.5 inches... but they only charged me $15 to balance. Did you tell them you were a club member... they've always cut me some slack.
« Last Edit: 11/ 3/09 - 12:04PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.