Author Topic: CB SWR meter  (Read 1249 times)

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
CB SWR meter
« on: 06/13/06 - 11:27AM »
Breaker, breaker channel 4... does anyone have a SWR meter to dial in a CB antenna? Come back.

Is your 10-20 gonna be Seymour this weekend for the dual club run?

Holler back to LP, now... 10-fo!  :agree:
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
Re: CB SWR meter
« Reply #1 on: 06/13/06 - 12:12PM »
I have one.  Give me a call @ 417-881-5780 to remind me to bring it.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #2 on: 06/13/06 - 12:40PM »
Will do.  Many thanks good buddy... over and out.

Offline OldYJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 06/14/06 - 12:00AM »
blaaahhhaaa  
 Good one Kieth  :agree:
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from
those who are willing to work and give to those who would not"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #4 on: 06/14/06 - 12:11AM »
It was gettin' a little stale around here, thought I'd try to blow a cool breeze through.

Offline DrLewall

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 01/20/07 - 05:28PM »
Thought I would "bump" this back up and maybe share some insight to possible CB failure and high SWR readings.

I see alot of antenna connections being corroded due to the elements and not being protected. The PL-259 (the part of the coax that screws into the antenna base) is not water proof and the coax itself will act like a wick and suck in all the moisture it can. There is a way to seal this up. It's cheap, and EASY!

Run down to Radio Shack, or any CB store/truck stop as they should have it too, and pick up some Coax Seal. It is like a rubber electrical tape. Make sure that where you want to apply this stuff to, is clean and dry. Just peel of a little, or if you can, wrap it around the connection. Press and mold the coax seal into place, real simple. Before proceeding< I would HIGHLY recomend that you check your coax for corrosion as if it is corroded, then it should be replaced as I believe you will just be wasting your time and money. Easy way to check your coax is unscrew the PL-259 from your antenna. Then unscrew the knurl end of the PL-259 and look inside the PL-259 for the corrosion. Don't wprry, you wont lose the knurl end as it will be on the coax end and will not travel far. Look for a turqouse (corroded) color inside the 4 little holes, if they are not solderd up. If it isn't clean, then replace the coax. If the holes are soldered up, then you "MAY" be ok, persoanally, I would not trust it.

Here, you can see my antenna connection before coax seal.

Here it is after. All I did was peel off a strip or two and press and molded it into place. Peel off some more and eventually had it built up and pressed into place. Now my coax is water proof at the antenna.

SWR should always be checked after messing with your antenna. Your antenna is 98% of your radio communication..if it isn't working properly, it will burn up your radio when you try to transmit, so take care of it! I hope I didnt leave anything out and that it wasnt too confusing for you.
I am in no way an expert on this, but I do know just a little bit abt it.  :biggrin:
DrLewall
"Doc"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 01/21/07 - 12:59AM »
Hey dick why don't you adjust my cb next time your at the farm.  Maybe I can get more range than line of sight.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato