Author Topic: Help with wheel spacer  (Read 1707 times)

Offline picperfect

Help with wheel spacer
« on: 01/17/07 - 05:24PM »
I have recently put 33/12.50's on my 01 wrangler. Plus a 3" lift.
Wife can't drive without steering lock to lock,so i'm rubbing. Has anyone had this setup or know what size spacer should work?

Offline DrLewall

• Level 2
Re: Help with wheel spacer
« Reply #1 on: 01/18/07 - 12:43AM »
I don't know if this will help you, but there is some useful info here: http://bbb.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=38;t=010955  

Besure to read the whole post..some of the begining of it is a little negative on spacers, but it gets better towards the bottom.
DrLewall
"Doc"

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #2 on: 01/18/07 - 10:24AM »
Are you running stock wheels?  

If not, how much backspaceing do you have?  If I remember correcly, you need about 4 inches of backspaceing to make it work without spacers.
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 01/18/07 - 10:46AM »
Like Bradman said give us the backspacing on your wheels and we'll be able to tell you.  Also are you running stock flares?  That way we can help so your not rubbing the flares as well.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #4 on: 01/18/07 - 11:04AM »
Sounds like you will need to get some wheel spacers, just make sure you get the ones that are made of T6061 Aluminum.  There are other that are made of cheaper aluminum and are not safe. Also, DO NOT buy the  ones from the auto parts stores that stack together. They only shorten your wheel studs and are extremely dangerous. 1 inch spacer should do the trick for you.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #5 on: 01/18/07 - 11:16AM »
if you are just rubbing a little bit, you can adjust the steering stops. there is a bolt and set nut on each side near the rotors. just back them out till it stops rubbing.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #6 on: 01/18/07 - 03:01PM »
if you are just rubbing a little bit, you can adjust the steering stops. there is a bolt and set nut on each side near the rotors. just back them out till it stops rubbing.

I didn't know you could do this... learn something new everyday. Great tip.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline picperfect

« Reply #7 on: 01/18/07 - 07:09PM »
Thanks for the replies, yes i'm running the stock wheels (for now)
It's not rubbing the flares, just some front end parts when almost to lock, makkin it hard for her to get in garage and stuff. All i have found are 5/16
spacers, any ideas on where to get thicker ones?

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #8 on: 01/18/07 - 11:43PM »
the steering locks probably have 5/16 of adjustment in em. if anything it will keep the tires off your control arms, witch is probably what they are rubbing on.

here is a link to the write up, on the greatest jeep how-to site on the web!

http://www.stu-offroad.com/steering/stop/steerstop-1.htm
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #9 on: 01/18/07 - 11:52PM »
Adjusting the steering stops will eliminate the rubbing, however the fact that it has a poor turning radius will remain.  Wheel spacers are your best bet.  Whitehead found a good deal on some a while back he's your best bet i think.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Kcolg

• Level 1
« Reply #10 on: 01/19/07 - 01:20AM »
I run Spidertrax spacers and they come highley recommended as a wheel spacer.  Do a search for them on Google, they are pricey, but well worth it unless you want to go to new wheels or steel wheels with the backspacing you need.  As stated make sure they are the good billet aluminum and not cast.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #11 on: 01/19/07 - 01:18PM »
Here is a link to the seller on EBAY where I bought my spacers ... they are the exact same quality and aluminum as the Spydertrax... only difference is they are not anodized blue and don't come in a box that says Spydertrax on it and the fact that they are 1/2 the price of the Spydertrax makes them pretty appealing in my opinion.

Just make sure you get the right bolt pattern... you should be 5x4.5

This is for all 4 peices.

Wheel Spacers

Offline picperfect

« Reply #12 on: 01/19/07 - 05:21PM »
Thanks whitehead, i assume you have had good luck with them? Think i will get me a set. Thanks again

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #13 on: 01/20/07 - 01:36AM »
yes, I have great results with them .. and have wheeled hard with them on.. no problems whatsover.  just follow the directions, you may have retaining clips around some of your studs be sure to remove them so the spacers sit flush, I used red locktight on the inner nuts and studs... (not the ones that hold your wheel on, the ones that hold the spacer on get the locktight) check em after about 100miles to see if any have worked loose which will be unlikely with the red locktight... check again after about 500miles and I also check mine everytime I rotate the tires... which in a perfect world is 6,000miles

YellowTJ also runs a set... hers are 1.25inch I believe and mine are 2inch.