Author Topic: Re-Gearing the Rubicon  (Read 4475 times)

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
Re: Re-Gearing the Rubicon
« Reply #15 on: 01/31/07 - 02:40PM »
Ok so let me sort this out... regearing the Jeep with get me better performance as far as the power thing is concerned.  For instance when I'm trying to get from 50-60mph it's a push.  So what will the higher ratio get me on the trail?  I like the slow crawl down hill.  You said something about hauling what dose it do to that, I have two jetskis that total about 1500lbs.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #16 on: 01/31/07 - 02:44PM »
The lower gears will put you back in the power band of your motor.  Essentially it's like going back to stock minus the added weight of your new tires.  It will give you a lower crawl ratio i.e. slower down the trail.

But since your only running 33's (i think) 4:88's might be to low of a gear, but i'm not sure reagearing to 4:56's would be worth the cost.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #17 on: 01/31/07 - 03:32PM »
Thanks much always looking for ways to spend my money...LOL thanks for the help.  While my Jeep is slow I'm good with that, I'm in no hurry and it drinks too much gas for long trips anyway.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
« Reply #18 on: 01/31/07 - 05:20PM »
"4:88's may be to low for running 33's"

Please expand on this comment since I am planning on this same thing in the future.
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #19 on: 01/31/07 - 05:26PM »
Factory with 3:07s and 30's your turing 1900rpm's at 70 with a 5 speed.
with 4:88's and 33's your turning 2800 rpm's
with 4:88's and 35's your turning 2600 rpm''s @ 70

Not really TO LOW as I said but the pushing the recommended 3K upper limit of a 6 cylinder at 70.

Basically drive around at 70 in what ever gear you need to to run 2800 rpm's.  Check your mileage and see how you feel about running your engine at that level.

Personally I wouldn't have a problem with it being as mine is turning 3350rpm's at 70 but mine gets BAD mileage and doesn't get driven anywhere but when I want tol.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #20 on: 01/31/07 - 05:33PM »
it drinks too much gas for long trips anyway.

oh your not kiddin... my trips to Colorado burnt up some serious gallons of gas... I haven't taken it out since I've done all mods.... will be going in July though so I guess I'll find out... should be cheaper this time out since gas isn't $3 gallon now.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YellowTJ

• Level 2
« Reply #21 on: 01/31/07 - 05:47PM »
Your so not kidding Jimmy.  Our trip to Moab and we were stopping way more than I ever do to get more gas.  It was well worth the trip but I fear it's going to be an even worse trip as far as dragging slow to do it again now that there's bigger tires and lift on it.
color=yellow]
_l----l_
OlllllllO
[]--o-[]      "YellowTJ"

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #22 on: 02/ 5/07 - 12:34PM »
Houston...  we have a go.

4.88's w/complete overhaul ... just in time for the Ranch Rocker run Feb 10.

Thank for everyone's input on this... will post back up after it's done and tested.

FYI:
Parts: Superior Gears and kits from Kevin (iJeep) at http://4wheelerssupply.com (thanks Kevin!)
Labor: Phil's Auto Repair in Marshfield will be doing the work.

I'm stoked ... and now broke!

:agree:
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #23 on: 02/13/07 - 01:54PM »
Welcome home Ruby Lee

Went and picked up the Ruby Lee this morning. I had it out at Phil's Auto Repair in Marshfield, MO for the re-gear job.

It now has all the power back it once had when it was stock and drives like a brand new jeep. I can't believe I didn't have this done sooner. I went with 4.88's, shot down the highway at 85 with no rattle, vib or thump.

I especially want to thank Phil for doing a great job... taking the time to explain somethings about re-gearing that I was curious about. He even let me hang out and watch as he did some of the work... Phil's a great guy, very professional and meticulous in his work and I would HIGHLY recommend him to anyone needed work done on their rig.

Thanks Shamoo for recommending him to me, and thanks Phil for a job well done.

Thats all I got... me so HAPPY.   :applaudit: