Author Topic: possible carb problem? fuel filter maybe?  (Read 1844 times)

Offline NixaYJ

• Level 1
possible carb problem? fuel filter maybe?
« on: 03/14/07 - 03:54PM »
I'm a noob, so be patient please.

I've had my 89 YJ almost 3 weeks now, I drove it from Kentucky 300 miles home without any problems.  

I have noticed it doesn't start very well sometimes after it's been sitting on a slope - last night I drove to the Nixa Community Center, came home and parked in the driveway, with a very slight slope.  Cleaned up the garage for maybe 10 minutes then went to restart the jeep and pull it in the garage, it would not fire up, I let it roll into the street and it quickly fired up, with some light blue smoke from the exhaust to show for it.  

Then I've had the following happen twice - after starting it up in the garage, then driving to Springfield along 160, the engine suddenly shuts off.  I quickly restart it and then it's fine, no more problems.  The 2 times that has happened - the spots are within 1/4 mile of each other.

Any thoughts?

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
Re: possible carb problem? fuel filter maybe?
« Reply #1 on: 03/14/07 - 04:11PM »
Does it have a Crank Position Sensor?  If it does I vote that.
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #2 on: 03/14/07 - 05:20PM »
Monte,

I vote for the Carter BBD carb computer is going south.  Many people to the Nutter Bypass and that seems to help.  Others, like Allen, have switched to a Motorcraft 2100 carb.  Some a Weber carb.  I guess it all has to do with what engine you have though, or these suggestions may not matter at all.

Keith
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #3 on: 03/14/07 - 07:06PM »
The carter carbs BLOW. Here is a link to the nutter bypass. I havent done it yet, but I am going to do it soon.
http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/electrical/jn-ignition99/
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Offline NixaYJ

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 03/14/07 - 07:10PM »
I have the 258.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: 03/14/07 - 07:20PM »
Do you know what carb it has on it, first?  Most of the carters have been ditched by now.  Snap a pic or 2 of it, post it, or PM me & i'll let you know more.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline cpj

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 03/14/07 - 08:26PM »
Quote from: "NixaYJ"
I have the 258.

Then I bet its the carter, unless some one had taken it of as Sanchez(Tan YJ) said.   Look at the back of the carb, (the side closest to the firewall) and see if you have a plug with a few wires coming out of it. If you do, well, then you are screwed and have the crappy computer controlled carter carb.
Once in a while that perfect part rolls around that the redneck craftsman sees and goes, "this would be just perfect as a ________."

Blueyellow

« Reply #7 on: 03/14/07 - 08:39PM »
YO YO Nutters Bypass and a 2150 carb Works Great and I also Put 45 Milimeter (I beleive) Jets in it and It runs Upside Down Almost LOL. You can Pick up a Remanned Carb at Oriellys for about 160 Bucks But Make sure it Matches to your adapter plate that you can get at Summit racing. And make sure you speak with a rep from summit and tell them what your wanting or they will send you the wrong thing. Go to www.inajeep and Look at his rebuild that should tell Ya parts Numbers I think to all those things. Anyway Hope This helps
AL

Blueyellow

« Reply #8 on: 03/15/07 - 08:07PM »
Heres the link to How to do the Nutters Bypass and The carb install on a Jeep
http://www.inajeep.com/cjbuildup/mybuildup16.asp