Author Topic: JK Lift???  (Read 1733 times)

Offline tcrouth

• Level 1
JK Lift???
« on: 02/15/11 - 03:47PM »
The wife and i are looking at getting a JK and she loves the idea of 40"tires.. i have been looking at all the diff liftes and was woundering what the JK owners thought of there lifts ???? thanks guys!

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: JK Lift???
« Reply #1 on: 02/15/11 - 06:53PM »
I too would like to know who has what lift, short arm, long arm, yadda on the 2 Door JK...  Stories of how greater it handles over stock after you lifted it will be met with calls of BS and much scrutiny.  :deadhorse:
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline tcrouth

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 02/15/11 - 07:23PM »
Ugh.......

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #3 on: 02/15/11 - 07:29PM »
There is a thread on Pirate about a sweet JK on 40s.
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 02/16/11 - 05:26PM »
Having put a few together on 40's, the Rock Krawler kits are great, but never did a 2 door.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline tcrouth

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 02/16/11 - 08:00PM »
witch kit if i could ask.. any Y..

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 02/17/11 - 03:26PM »
Their long arm kits.  Lots of work to install but nice kits.  They also offer them with coilovers which I've also done and are a nice ride when finished.

I would have said look into Rubicon Express because it works awesomeon Derek's JK on 41.5's but they have "at least temporarily" gone out of business.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 02/24/11 - 07:45PM »
I started with a 2.5" Rusty's which is no where near big enough for 40's, but I am running a 4" superlift now with another inch of body lift. Honoestly, it's way to much for the 35's, but I figured I'd end up with a bigger setup eventually anyway. If I were looking to run 40's, I could probably pull it off with flat fenders in my current setup. (lots of guys have) Keeps your center of gravity a little lower, although with the fat, wide 4 door I really haven't ever felt that crappy yet. Realistically, if you want to pull 40's right you probably want a 6" kit.

As far as ride goes... you will find pretty much two variants out there on the JK - a four arm setup (Teraflex, Poly, full traction) and some three-link kits. (Rubicon Express, Rock Krawler, and others that have slipped my mind now) I have driven a TF, Poly, and RE setup on-road and didn't really draw a conclusion on favorites, although I have kind of kicked around the Poly setup for a while. The RK is supposed to have a lot of flex offroad, but not quite as much manners onroad.

It isn't on 40's, but you may take a gander at swimmer or my JK at the next meeting. I'm running Superlift short arms on mine, and I believe Steve is as short arm as well. Really with a JK, you can do a 4" lift on adjustable short arms without having a bad ride, although I have to admit that if the money tree ever got ripe I might consider a long arm setup.

If you want to look, there are a couple of JK boards that are full of guys who like to blow smoke about what lift is best. JK-forum.com is heavily moderated, but you can get some feel for what is out there. Just be careful about the brand bias. JKOwners.com is a child site of Pirate4x4 and more vendor neutral, but has its own biases.
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #8 on: 02/24/11 - 11:04PM »
Very informative... Thanks Ross.

EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.