Author Topic: Canoe on a soft top?  (Read 956 times)

Offline Moto

• Level 1
Canoe on a soft top?
« on: 11/27/09 - 12:28PM »
Anyone have any success on hauling a canoe of the soft top of a Wrangler? Looking for some ideas to entertain & what others' may have done before I drive 120 mi.
Thanks!

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
Re: Canoe on a soft top?
« Reply #1 on: 11/27/09 - 03:27PM »
I did it once. And it was fine, except for it rubbing a tine hole in the top at the front bow. So just make sure to put a towel or something between the canoe and the top. And strap it tight!!
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline Moto

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 11/27/09 - 03:55PM »
Oooooo,... don't need any of dem dere holes  :o
If I do, I'll grab 4 of those gunwale foam blocks, have two on the windshield header, & i guess the other two will be on the center tops' bow as it's the highest point rather than further back which is what I'd rather do, but oh well.
Still up for suggestions though.
Thanks!
Moto

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #3 on: 11/27/09 - 04:00PM »
Yeah, foam blocks would be perfect.I used a ratchet stap from one tow hook through the fron loop on the boat down to the other hook. Then a strap from the rear loop down to my reciever. The boat stayed on good. I just should have kept it off the top where the bows are. Good luck!
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline Moto

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 11/27/09 - 04:13PM »
   I DO have 1 other option, which would be to try & put it on my 4X8 trailer (with short side rails) but @ 17' I'll have alot hanging off the back, Harbor Freight has a receiver hitch extension, but it's only 12" which would help me to get 2 1/2' to 3' ahead of the front of the trailer, but at best I'll still have roughly about 6" off the back of the trailer. :106:
Still open for suggestions!