Author Topic: Help with a DJ - for a soldier in Afghanistan  (Read 2812 times)

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
Help with a DJ - for a soldier in Afghanistan
« on: 03/19/10 - 12:23AM »
I got this question via the OJT email inbox and thought I'd post it out here for any of you experts to chime in on.

My husband loves to come watch when you were out and was excited about getting his jeep ready and join....after he got the new engine put in it he was deployed to Afghanistan.  I am trying to get it finished before he comes home and surprise him, but being the make and model I am not having too much luck.  When I was in Youngblood last month getting my oil changed Lucas told me how to get in touch with you that maybe you might be able to help.  We have a 1973 DJ, no one can answer questions when I call the dealership parts dept....it needs back brake cylinders, which I finally found online since Autozone didn't have them...I would like to get a paint job on it, find seats, and maybe a new top...I am finding parts for CJ's but no DJ's and no one can tell me if they will interchange....can you please help, I would really like to get this going for him and get him a membership before he comes home the end of next month, he has been over there for a year and I know this would really make him happy.  Thank you for your help.
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
Re: Help with a DJ - for a soldier in Afghanistan
« Reply #1 on: 03/19/10 - 01:37AM »
DJ's or delivery jeeps were generally postal jeeps with enclosed tops (metal), so not sure what kind of replacement. 

The rear axle is either going to be a model 20 (most likely) or 44.  I'd ask her to take pics and then post them and we can likely find them.  4ws can probably come up with the parts if we can find out what size brakes and which axle.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline willisbill43

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 03/19/10 - 12:52PM »
It is a dj5, but with a soft top. I am trying to find new fenders as they were weathered and breaking, I found some online but for a cj and the company couldn't tell me if they would work.  We are trying to get it running right now, the fuel sending unit was sealed in with some kind of goop, we removed it but need a seal which no one has.  the driver side brake line needs to be replaced, I got one at autozone, but now have to bend it to fit.  I did find the brake cylinders online and they were actually correct. After we have it running I would like to try and find seats, and possibly a paint job.  I have found tires, but am waiting to get it running before I buy them. Any help would be appreciated, he is supposed to be home about the 25th of April.  Thanks

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #3 on: 03/19/10 - 02:20PM »
Cool, I've never seen a soft top DJ.  Glad your finding parts for it, someone may ask TOM I think he had a decent pair of CJ seats.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline willisbill43

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 03/19/10 - 04:56PM »
The back brakes were totally taken apart and we aren't sure how they go back together, the chilton book isn't helping...can anyone help?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #5 on: 03/21/10 - 11:46PM »

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #6 on: 03/22/10 - 12:45AM »
what color do you want to paint it i mite be able to help you out with it.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.

Offline willisbill43

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 03/22/10 - 02:25PM »
[users\nanette\pictures\2009-04-27\jeep1]

Offline willisbill43

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 03/22/10 - 02:38PM »
u353e is the color code for the paint he chose

Offline willisbill43

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 03/22/10 - 03:03PM »
users\nanette\pictures\2009-04-27\jeep1

Offline willisbill43

• Level 1
« Reply #11 on: 03/23/10 - 04:58PM »
does anyone have any pictures of the fuel lines from the gas tank, we are trying to get it hooked up but not sure what goes where.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #12 on: 03/23/10 - 05:56PM »

Offline willisbill43

• Level 1
« Reply #13 on: 03/23/10 - 06:08PM »
great, thanks, my chilton didn't have that one..

Offline FlameRed08

• Level 3
« Reply #14 on: 03/23/10 - 06:42PM »
I don't care what anybody says about you Aaron, you're a good guy!  8)
2008 JK Unlimited X, Flame Red, 4" Superlift, Shrockworks Rails, Elements doors, etc.