Author Topic: Thinking about trading my xj for 84 xj  (Read 857 times)

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
Thinking about trading my xj for 84 xj
« on: 04/ 1/08 - 04:43PM »
Ok so looking for opinions on what i should i am supposed to go look at a black 84 xj tommarrow that i may trade for what i know so far is that its a 2.8l no KNOWN rust 3" rustys lift 2 door model still uses original front end but the owner said something about bypassing the motor has a d35 rear runs and drives and everything works and he pulled all the emissions equipment off except the egr looks like its got some nice 31" mudders on it fromt eh 2 pics i have seen and is a 3speed auto.

Now for my rig i have a 91 xj laredo with 270k with a trail master 3.5 long arm kit that has been shimmed and blocked in the back. Also has a fair amount of rust as in the rocker on side is shot the quarters corners are gone the rear cargo area has a huge hole (i have pics of it) bad brakes a few wireing gremlins a odd front d30 (for some reason it doesn't take 91 4x4 brake pads instead it uses the brakes for a 2wd xj.) it also has a d35 and 31" wrangler ats and a few other minor issues (ie locking mechanism in the seat belts no longer work) however it has done everything i have asked of it and more but i have a feeling i have bitten off more then i can chew with this current rig. here are pics of my jeep

interior rear rust http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ust%203-16-08/

random pics of it http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...oor%203-15-08/
http://s259.photobucket.com/albums/h...ter%208-16-08/

Anywho what would you guys do? I'm not really all that familiar with the early xjs other then avoid the peugeot (sp?) like the plague.
Dude......I don't think thats gonna buff out.<br /><br />That ain't rust...Their custom lightening holes.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
Re: Thinking about trading my xj for 84 xj
« Reply #1 on: 04/ 1/08 - 07:54PM »
I've read you want to avoid the earlier ones altogether, just the first couple years.

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 04/ 1/08 - 08:06PM »
well i just talked to the guy now it looks like there is possibilty that it wont happen.  He orgianlly want to trade his jeep and a truck for a solid axle 4wd pickup and some guy in arkansas may do it.
Dude......I don't think thats gonna buff out.<br /><br />That ain't rust...Their custom lightening holes.

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 04/ 1/08 - 10:58PM »
Yeah, stay away from the 2.8s in any form.  But, we had an '89 Camaro with one in it, was the MPFI 2.8 with a 5-sp, and I'll say it never left us wanting for more.  But the carbed ones in the XJs were a POS.
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"