Author Topic: project D Coop  (Read 6092 times)

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
Re: project D Coop
« Reply #15 on: 08/14/07 - 01:11PM »
I specifically didn't make any comments towards the fab, because I also build and fab.  I don't build complete vehicles yet, due to space and time.  I build eveything as if it is mine, and that is extremely time consuming.  

Since, I have an engineering background (regular job) I have a "unique" way of looking at things.  I don't always agree with comments made about strength and certain ways that things are fabbed but I try to refrain from really ripping in on things.  I have asked questions at times tho.

But - to say tell me what your qualifications are before you add any weight to someone's opinion is a little silly.  With the intardnet these days everyone is an expert!! LOL  (I have the same attitude sometimes about things, tho.)

Geoff has been building rigs for a few years and posting them.  I think that with the amount of information and builds that he posts that eventually there will be criticism.  He takes it well mostly and is more than open about WHY he does things.  He is absolutely correct tho - give the customer EXACLTY what they want or more.  I have done it too.  I didn't like it BUT I did it.

Where did that guy from OK go tho?
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.

Offline TJ Ken

• Level 2
« Reply #16 on: 08/14/07 - 07:13PM »
Quote from: "junkyard"
all my notches have less than 1/8 gap. most have zero.
i look forward to more comments, since that makes me not have to ask.
thanks

I saw this comment & thought I'd comment on it a little.

When MIG welding Tube (Any welding for that manner), there needs to be a slight bevel for proper penetration throughout the entire thickness of the material.  On the weld neck flanges I used to make at my prior job (CNC Machinist) this angle was 37-1/2 Degrees.  Why the 1/2...I don't know but that was the 'norm'.

Anyways...I just want to point out to people that you should be aware of your bevels on the tubing.  I always put a bevel on the end of every piece of tube we lay down here at my shop.

Imagine two seperate flat plates with the ends pushed up together touching.  Without a bevel on each side of the plate it would be impossible to lay a good weld down that got good penetration.
  There's no difference for tubing.
 Although your notch may fit perfect....take a second to put a bevel all the way around the tube.  It doesn't need to be a perfect angle, just make sure it will allow you to get full penetration on the tubing.  This notch will also help you to get a better looking weld most of the time because the weld will have room to "fall" down into the joint.

That's just my experience & thought I'd share.

My Credentials: Owner King's Off Road Enterprise
# of Rigs Built: Lots!

I hear you on building what the customer wants....we have Jeep in here now like that.  They guy wants it to be a skyscraper!  I have my reasons for not making it that tall, & I've relayed these to the customer.  Even though I shared my experiences with him on rigs that were too tall, he wants to try it like this & change it later if need be.  I am however setting up the 4 link with adjustable mounts so that IF we lower it, not everything will have to be redone.  Just something that won't take any more time to do right now, but will save a lot later on.

-Kenneth
King's Off Road Enterprise LLC.<br />Off Road Accessories & Custom Components<br /><br />Toll Free - 866-699-8018<br />Local - 918-248-1034<br />www.kore4x4customs.com

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: 08/15/07 - 01:36AM »
i didnt add the fact that i bevel the ends of the tubing. i just take that as a must in the step.

in this business, anyone who buys some tools becomes a fab guy. brad and i bump heads over some designs, but we both see the ways of the other, that is why i love building rigs. i love that i can see an idea and change it to make it exactly what i envision.

i used to think i had to be the biggest or the best, but i truely enjoy seeing happy people in rigs i build.

i have yet to get my rig going, and as brad knows, when you build to pay bills, you get the short end of the stick. i am gracious enough to have a friend and customer like barret. he lets me try things out on his and brake stuff. well i think he has ended me braking stuff though.

customers and friends like keith, who is kinda like a hero to me, with his nothing holding me back attitude and his passion for doing things folks think he cant. i love building something and someone who doesnt know how to wheel, all of a sudden researches and starts camping and wheeling and showing off their pride in what i have built for them.

i take extreme pride in what i build, and that in turn takes longer for me to build things. i find it very hard to take critisism sometimes. i dont know alot of people personally. so their backgrounds are non existant to me.

i do appreciate when someone asks me why i did that. through the computer, you never know their true demeanor. so i try to look at it as if they really want to know. i am happy to tell my thoughts. if they are wrong and justifiably wrong, then i have gained some inexspensive knowledge.

one of these days i will complete my rig and wheel it alot. for know, i will watch folks like wheelchairman, project92yj, barret and others enjoy what i created in their vision. the sad part about my rig, i get so far, then come up with a new design and then change mine all around. i get started for a week or two when i am slow, then get busy and it goes on the back burner.

i really appreciate the comment, i didnt like your work, but now im digging it, i see the improvement. i have to say that was the most honest down to earth comment i have had yet, and lets me know that i am on the right path.
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline TJ Ken

• Level 2
« Reply #18 on: 08/15/07 - 02:50PM »
Cool man, I just didn't want people to read into that and be mislead.

I hear you on putting yours on the back burner.  That's just the way it is sometimes.
I just put a V8 in mine, take it out...go tear stuff up, then pull it back in for the next round of mods & guess what....it's sitting on Jackstands waiting for me to get some time.  LOL
King's Off Road Enterprise LLC.<br />Off Road Accessories & Custom Components<br /><br />Toll Free - 866-699-8018<br />Local - 918-248-1034<br />www.kore4x4customs.com

Offline ROUGH RIDER

• Level 1
« Reply #19 on: 08/15/07 - 10:27PM »
A buddy told me, if you want your weld to be strong you've got to pile it on.

I just like to put my stick in there and get it really hot!

Offline wheelchairman

• Level 2
« Reply #20 on: 08/15/07 - 10:49PM »
hahaha I see someone has been readin the thread on pirate titled schedule 40

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=605639

I just hope and pray thats not really yours!

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #21 on: 08/16/07 - 01:32AM »
I hope its not his as well.  I did see that on Pirate, gotta love the stuff those guys come up with.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Blueyellow

« Reply #22 on: 08/16/07 - 09:16AM »
Kev Glad to see you Back around!!!!! Surprised you haven't made it to a Ranch Rocker run???

Offline mike4089

• Level 2
« Reply #23 on: 08/23/07 - 03:03PM »
Quote from: "Ghettokrawler"
Them 3 lill bitty screws gonna keep them bars from bustin loose & jabbin someon in the leg when that thing roll?  Do leavin them big o boogers on them welds & then covern the cracks with paint help the strenth?

it does say on OR fabs website that the cage they make for the CJ's is made in enhance the appearence and not protect someone if involved in a rollover..

Offline CRAZY LARRY

• Charter Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #24 on: 08/24/07 - 12:50AM »
all right who took pic. of my welds.
Zombie brains; smells like fish taste like chicken.