Author Topic: Local Fabrication Shop - killer crossmember !!  (Read 4531 times)

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
Local Fabrication Shop - killer crossmember !!
« on: 04/14/08 - 11:10PM »
Here is a picture of the crossmember fabbed up by Creative Metal Works Inc.  Matt is the owner and the shop is in Nixa.  He was super to work with.  Came over to my shop, looked at what I wanted.  Took a drawing and some measurements and made it happen. 

Here it is.

Here is what it looks like clamped in place.  Figured I would throw in some pics of the front axle.  I am waiting on more parts from the rear steer axle.  USA 6x6 forgot to process my order.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Local Fabrication Shop - killer crossmember !!
« Reply #1 on: 04/15/08 - 10:48AM »
Looks like really nice work; but what is the purpose of the "big bowl" part of the member?
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
« Reply #2 on: 04/15/08 - 07:45PM »
I am building a one link front and rear suspension.  Both front and rear link will mount to the cross member.  That being said, the cross member needed to be built strong and durable.  The bowl does have an access hole so I can still access the transmission mount bolts and the 1 link inner bolts. 

I will show more pictures and it will make much more sense in the next week or so as I get it on its feet and rolling around.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 04/15/08 - 11:14PM »
I understand what your doing... look forward to seeing more pics... and to see it in action sometime.  8)
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
  • When in doubt, throttle out!!!
« Reply #4 on: 04/15/08 - 11:33PM »
do they do bumpers? hows the pricing?
CAMPING WITHOUT BEER IS JUST SLEEPING OUTSIDE!

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
« Reply #5 on: 04/16/08 - 12:03AM »
Here are the 360 Joints that I will be basing the 1 link off of.  They have 45 degrees articulation in 360 degrees.  The joint is sealed and greasable.  I will be a vendor for these joints and will have more in stock soon.  Once everyone sees the ease of installing these joints they will sell themselves.

Here is a picture of the joints.  They can be completely unbolted and serviced and if one piece ever became damaged it can be unbolted and replaced.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #6 on: 04/16/08 - 12:27AM »
i CAN NOT wiat to see the "one link" set up!!!! :o

Offline junkyard

• Level 4
  • GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: 04/17/08 - 07:17PM »
I dont see any any gussetting where the bolt runs through your crossmember. with the stress coming to that plate, is the plate going to be thick enough?

with the one links, there is quite a bit of stress right there at the ball. looks good though.

also are you going to gussett the mount that is on the frame any? I would think a couple gussets on that would go along way to stop bending there.

I still have those rockwell coil mounts if you still want them.
for rock crawling info and events   go to   www.rockcrawlinginfo.com

Offline sarvy

• Level 1
« Reply #8 on: 04/17/08 - 11:24PM »
How much are the 360 joints going to run?

Good luck dealing with USA 6x6, be very patient!

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
« Reply #9 on: 04/22/08 - 11:56PM »
Here are some updated pics.  Tonight I finished cutting the sections of the link down.  Got the angles cut and then welded them together.  I used 3x3" 3/16th steel tubing.  Extremely heavy and over built but I did it that way so I will have no issues in the future when if I go bigger on the motor and tires.

Santa Clause dressed in a brown suit and driving a brown truck showed up today with presents for the rear steer rockwell.  Now that the parts are in I will be able to shave the pan, install the new boots and guards and get it under the Sammi.

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 04/23/08 - 12:07AM »
I will finish welding the links solid tomorrow after Bible Study.  I will be cutting out a skid plate that will cover the bottom of the Y part of the link so it should slide easily over rocks and will also provide a little extra strength to the link.

I have the extra gussets cut and ground down to fit the bracing on the frame.  It will be plenty strong when I get those welded in.

I am only running a V6 at this point so I won't be powering over everything. I just want a nice crawler.  If I need more gearing I will install the Terra 4 to 1 kit. I will be looking into a 4.3 or 350 setup next winter.

Offline TJ-2thousand

• Level 4
« Reply #11 on: 04/23/08 - 12:10AM »
very nice! cant wait to see more pics!

good job! even if it is a suzuki :o

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #12 on: 04/24/08 - 03:54PM »
thats very interesting. i look forward to seeing how well it flexes.  when do you plan to have it wheelable?
LATA
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 04/28/08 - 12:04AM »
Tonight I got the Sammi standing on its front two feet.  I made some 1/4" upper coil buckets with 1/4" gussets for extra support.  My buddy Travass came over and put the Heat to it.  Turned out looking good. 

I used stock TJ coils.  With the full weight of the Sammi on them they compress to 13 1/2" inches.  I lifted the front this evening and the springs stretch to a full 20" inches when they stop stretching and lift the axle off the ground.

I have some more work to do on the brackets that hold the spring in place.  I cut them a little too large and will cut and smooth them down.  They gotta look good. 

I welded the link on the other day.  Looks pretty killer.  Had Travis weld on a couple of spots that my weld didn't penitrate

Offline ford381stroker

• Level 3
« Reply #14 on: 04/28/08 - 12:06AM »
The sammi is sitting on its own in the pics.  That is the ride height it will be sitting at.  The front link is still sitting right at 10 degrees.

Tires are at 10 psi in the pics and they aren't even squatting.