Author Topic: Filter and Intake System  (Read 965 times)

Offline Ultramag

• Level 2
Filter and Intake System
« on: 01/ 8/08 - 04:17PM »
What would the real benefits be if I installed a Intake System and Filter kit like K&N.  I would be putting this on my '06 Unlimited, Automatic 4.0L.  I have heard that it really improves horsepower and gas mileage.  If I was lookinf for more horsepower then I wouldn't have bought a Jeep with a 4.0  :) but I wondered if any of you knew of any other benefits.  How much would one of these help with MPG?

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Filter and Intake System
« Reply #1 on: 01/ 8/08 - 05:02PM »
When my jeep was stock I got 18mpg at the most... .20mpg if I kept it under 30mph  :P, all with no throttle body spacer and a stock filter. Now with 35's I've got an AirRaid intake and throttle body spacer and Flowmaster 40 on my 05 Rubicon. I get 13mpg; with my foot in it all the time and 15mpg driving like Miss Daisy. The increase in horsepower and throttle response was VERY noticeable. Never been dyno-tested but I know by driving that it increased my HP considerably. why do it? More torque = better performance. The 4.0 is no wimpy motor by any standard; stock or slightly modified. They produce alot of torque and HP... but if you can squeeze some more out.. why not?
« Last Edit: 01/ 8/08 - 05:13PM by whitehead »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline Ultramag

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 01/11/08 - 01:21PM »
Great points.  I will definitelty do this in the near future.  I have a couple more things I want to do on the outside first, then I will do this, which I am almost done buying add-ons!!  WooHoo!!  (Wife is glad too! Ha)  Would it make a differance if I bought a K&N filter for it without the intake system or would this be a waste of money?

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #3 on: 01/11/08 - 01:44PM »
no it wouldn't be a waste and only cost about a 1/4 of the money of the whole system. I did that at first too, ran just a K&N in my stock air box for about a year. I also took off that "HORN" from the air box which just restricts airflow.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.