Author Topic: xj lift question  (Read 2390 times)

Offline truejdm

• Level 1
xj lift question
« on: 01/29/08 - 04:16PM »
i was looking at an xj lift on ebay and i saw a 4.5 lift. if i was to do that, what else would need to be done to the jeep it self? would i have to extend anything at all? or just put it on and drive?

Thanks guys.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
Re: xj lift question
« Reply #1 on: 01/29/08 - 04:59PM »
Link to the kit you are referring to.  What year XJ are you talking about, some were more prone to vibes than others.

Offline truejdm

• Level 1
« Reply #2 on: 01/29/08 - 06:21PM »
i called a place called johns 4x4 and he has a 4.5" lift by skyjacker. its a 94 xj. do i have to get the different driveshaft and yoke eliminator?

Offline TanYJ

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: 01/29/08 - 06:59PM »
John's won't steer you wrong.  A SYE & CV shaft is about the best way to eliminate vibes on a lifted Heep.  You don't have to do it that way, as most of the boxed kits come with a tranny drop kit (at least they do with Wranglers).  Good luck.
« Last Edit: 01/29/08 - 07:02PM by TanYJ »
J-ust.................It's
E-mpty.............Hip
E-very............To be
P-ocket.........[-]====[-]
.....The second mouse gets the cheese.....
"Skinny models, you can keep those..I like big corn-fed mid-western ho's"

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 01/29/08 - 07:43PM »
The earlier XJs had a longer tail shaft housing that helped prevent vibes, not sure of the years.  You may be able to get by with a t-case drop, every Jeep is different though.  I had vibes from 15 to 40 after I installed my lift, a week later I installed the SYE and moved the front drive shaft to the rear, and then picked up another for the front at a salvage yard.  Like tanyj said, it's the best way to go.

Offline truejdm

• Level 1
« Reply #5 on: 01/30/08 - 03:54PM »
i plan on putting 35's on it, what lift do you guys think i should go with and how much of a body lift?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #6 on: 01/30/08 - 04:07PM »
You can't do a body lift on an XJ man.  They body/frame are integrated as 1 piece. 

Do you want to wheel the jeep (need room for compression), and do you want to trim sheet metal?
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline truejdm

• Level 1
« Reply #7 on: 01/30/08 - 04:15PM »
not so much rocks but mostly mud and some stuff on trails, my buddy says he has done a body lift to a few xj's?

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #8 on: 01/30/08 - 04:32PM »
Well go look under your XJ and see if you can find body mounts to lift or have your buddy show them to you.  Do a search and you'll find that no one sells body lifts for XJ's. 
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline truejdm

• Level 1
« Reply #9 on: 01/30/08 - 04:36PM »
well in that case, is there a good 6.5 - 7" lift that you all would suggest?

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #10 on: 01/30/08 - 04:39PM »
Yeah, no body lift for the XJ.  He might be talking about a budget boost.
If you want 35's with 4.5" of lift you will need to trim your fenders and bumpstop accordingly.
I rubbed with 33's on 4.5" just turning, I bumpstoped the rear until I decide to trim it.

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #11 on: 01/30/08 - 04:39PM »
well in that case, is there a good 6.5 - 7" lift that you all would suggest?
How much do want to spend?

Offline truejdm

• Level 1
« Reply #12 on: 01/30/08 - 04:42PM »
with everything i really need to make it work... trying to stay under the 1000 dollar mark.

Offline map93heep

• Level 3
« Reply #13 on: 01/30/08 - 04:51PM »
XJ are unibody and will not have body mounts. 97 and newer have the short tail shaft and can use a hack and tap sye. 96 and older will need to have the shaft kit installed. As far as installing a 4.5 lift, you will need longer brake lines if not provide with kit. Adjustible trackbar and shims for rear leafsprings for proper driveshaft angle.

Offline map93heep

• Level 3
« Reply #14 on: 01/30/08 - 05:11PM »
instead of sye or a 1 inch block drop. Rusty's sell a trans crossmember with the 1 inch drop built into it. That what I installed on mine and it works great, still have good ground clearance and its build to last. It runs 110.00 bucks. Its good buy for the money.