Author Topic: help needed with Bolt removal  (Read 1840 times)

Offline DKR

• Level 2
help needed with Bolt removal
« on: 12/ 4/05 - 11:33PM »
I have a torx head bolt on my trackbar (axle end) that is ruined.  Can't get anything on it.  Tried grinding the edges to get flat, didn't work, among other things - long story short it's not coming out of there.  The next idea I had was to weld something on it but I don't have a welder and wouldn't know how to use one if I did.  Does anyone have an idea I haven't thought of?  If not, would someone care to help me with the welding part?  

It's a TJ, and since it goes all the way through the bracket with no access to the other side, I can't just grind off the head.

I've got horrble steering right now, and am ordering a new adj trackbar from Kevin, so I need to get this thing outta there.  Thanks!!
kr
[TJ] 3" BDS, 33" Super Swampers, Banks power, K&N

Blueyellow

Re: help needed with Bolt removal
« Reply #1 on: 12/ 6/05 - 12:22AM »
I used a SAZZZALLL. I tried a Grinder But I couldn't get in there. I also made sure there was Tension on the Bolt so it wouldn't turn.
Al

Offline DKR

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 12/ 6/05 - 11:41AM »
If I cut the head off though, I won't be able to get to the other side to get it out.  Or am I misunderstanding you?
kr

Blueyellow

« Reply #3 on: 12/ 7/05 - 12:24AM »
If I remember right I Burned the Grommet out of the Hole(Orignal idea was trying to use heat to get it out) and Then got a Sazzalll In there and Sawed it off...There is a Metal sheath that gets rusted to the Bolt, and theres no way of gettting it out unless you are able to cut it off. ... High society and Heathster Helped me with it I Beleive. Isn't that what we did???
Al

Offline DKR

• Level 2
« Reply #4 on: 12/ 7/05 - 02:55PM »
So you mean you cut the head off and then used a sawzall to get between the track bar and the bracket to cut it out?  Or did I just totally misunderstand?
kr

Blueyellow

« Reply #5 on: 12/ 7/05 - 11:36PM »
Yes Correctamundo you understood
Al
Hope it helped

Offline DBox

• Level 1
« Reply #6 on: 01/ 3/06 - 09:59PM »
You might try having a bolt welded to the existing bolt. This will give you something to get a wrench on plus the heat that transfers from the weld to the threads may help break it loose. If you don't have access to a welder, you may try checking with a muffler shop. I worked at one years ago and there was always somebody coming by with a little job that needed done.
avid Box "Real Jeeps are built, not bought."  And I'm still building this one!

Offline OJTV8CJ

• Charter Members
  • Level 4
« Reply #7 on: 01/ 3/06 - 10:13PM »
Quote from: "DBox"
You might try having a bolt welded to the existing bolt. This will give you something to get a wrench on plus the heat that transfers from the weld to the threads may help break it loose. If you don't have access to a welder, you may try checking with a muffler shop. I worked at one years ago and there was always somebody coming by with a little job that needed done.

I have had to weld out allot of bolts on my CJ!  Works really well as long as you let the weld cool before trying to turn it!

I wish that we had Oxford's weather right now!  I have spent some time in Hulka, Newton, and Iuka.  Glad that I never ran into you - being a LEO and all!! LOL
I cut sheetmetal for free.  It's fixing it that get's expensive.