Author Topic: Opinions on TracLok?  (Read 817 times)

Offline j2sax

• Club Members
  • Level 3
Opinions on TracLok?
« on: 07/19/06 - 01:57AM »
OK, don't ridicule me too badly here, but I am bringing home a 2WD Comanche this weekend.   I am thinking of keeping it 2WD for mileage purposes, however, I need something to help with traction in the rear as I will be using it for moving stuff around on my property.  

So, I hear the TrakLok is super simple to install, not too intrusive in street driving and too weak for big power/major offroading.  It sounds about right for my uses as this will not me my offroad vehicle, except for yanking axles from the back of the shop to the garage...etc...

I would appreciate opinions from those f you who actually have experience with them.  I already know what many people "think!"
Have a great week,

JEsse
Jesse, Near Sparta, MO FSJ/AMC Freak<br />Wag w/ 6" lift 360/727/229 (208 soon) <br />2 J10s, 2 J20s, 4 Door J20 Project, Lots of Wags<br />73 Commando on Wag Frame, 79 AMX, Several Eagles

Offline Mo_Corley

• Level 1
Re: Opinions on TracLok?
« Reply #1 on: 07/19/06 - 08:26AM »
The main problem is how much one is worth. You can throw a lockright in there for cheaper.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 07/22/06 - 03:08PM »
They would serve your needs well if it was one that was new/recently rebuilt.  But like was previously mentioned if you have to buy a new one i'd just buy a pocket locker like EZ or lockright.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Overland n' Rocks

• Level 1
« Reply #3 on: 07/24/06 - 06:34PM »
I belive you are headed in the right direction. For the most part you won't even notice the Trac-Lok is there, except for the COOL power-slides in the rain and lack of tire on dirt roads going up hill. This is a complete carrier unit so you will need to check your gear pattern but 90% of the time you'll be fine re using your old shims.
A lunch box locker will have you clunk'n & bang'n like there's a drive about to fall out. If you ever feel like you need more traction (1 wheel spin) just change to Limited-Slip lube (don't use plain 80-90) and/or add Dana's traction additive $8 then the clutches won't hardly slip at all. Don't use synthetic lube either, clutches won't grab at all. Oh, and the Trac-Lok is also rebuildable.
You should be able to find one for less than $200.
haos, Panic, & Disorder; I see my work here is done.