Author Topic: So, what's the law? or IS there a law?  (Read 1605 times)

Offline CJaredo7

• Level 2
So, what's the law? or IS there a law?
« on: 08/19/07 - 05:42PM »
Hey everyone,
it's been a long time, I know....I've been busy, story of my life.  Anyway, just a quick question about the law here in Missouri when it comes to engine transplants.  I have an 82 CJ-7 as many here know... I got rid of the 258 6 cyl motor and I got a Chevy 305 vortec to put in it's place.   My question is, since my jeep originally had no smog stuff on it and the thing that the Chevy motor came out of was a boat originally, then a 89 Chevy c1500 pickup, do I have to move any smog equipment that may have been on the Chevy pickup to my jeep?  I honestly don't even remember seeing any smog equipment on the truck but I wanted to ask...

I am under the impression that I won't have to do anything since my jeep didn't originally have any smog related equipment on it...is this correct?  Again, since the motor was originally in a boat, does that mean i have to even worry about the smog crap?  I hope not, cause it doesn't have anything other than TBI that I can see that's smog related (even though that's not really smog equipment per say).  

Who here is in the know?   I am planning on taking the motor and just getting a good 700cfm carb for it and going simple right now...then later on putting edlebrock MPI on it maybe, depending on finances and if I'm still wanting something to tinker with.   Lemme know!  
Eric
82 CJ-7 Laredo with some stuff...read about it at http://www.inajeep.com/

CJaredo7

Offline Bradman

• Level 4
  • II've got a buzz and a woody, and I'm ready to go!
Re: So, what's the law? or IS there a law?
« Reply #1 on: 08/19/07 - 11:10PM »
Eric,
smog stuff is not part of the state inspection, so I say do not wory bout it.
1999 TJ  2.5 inch Rancho Rockrawler lift  33inch BFG's  Loc-Rites front and rear!<br /><br />Ranch Rocker!<br />http://smorr.net/images/ranch_rockers_avatar50.png

Offline LibertyPatriot

• I vote for BACON!
  • Charter Members
  • Level 5
  • Web Wheeler!
« Reply #2 on: 08/19/07 - 11:58PM »
From what I've read, it only pertains to what was originally in the vehicle at time of delivery.  You're not supposed to install anything older than what came in it.  Also, if you change types of engines, as in going from gas to diesel or propane, you are supposed to make that change when you renew your license plates.

But like said, if you don't live in a county that test for that stuff, you shouldn't have to worry.

Keith
I'd put something funny here, but you probably wouldn't get it anyway...

Offline Boost

« Reply #3 on: 08/24/07 - 02:59PM »
The only time that would matter is if you were in a state like CA or CO.  Here the only thing you need to do is make sure you have a catalytic converter.

Offline junkman306

• Level 1
« Reply #4 on: 09/ 5/07 - 07:53PM »
Yep. Here the only thing that matters is the catalytic converter, but no one checks for those either.  :agree:
1986 Dodge Ramcharger

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 09/ 6/07 - 02:22AM »
bought mine in Arkansas and had to get a cat conv put on to pass inspection.  I picked the station that required it.  Then he said I had to have a rear bumper!  I took it somewhere else after I had the cat put on!
I am Joe the plumber.