Author Topic: Great Day  (Read 679 times)

Offline DBox

• Level 1
Great Day
« on: 01/23/06 - 11:56PM »
Sometimes it doesn't matter what happens, it's still a good day. Last week I put my 4 inch springs back under my 7. I set the pinion angle and built a CV joint driveshaft. Joe, my 14 year old, was here this weekend. His CJ5 wasn't oiling the rocker arms so we rigged a line to fix that for now. We drilled a hole in the rocker tube between the first two rockers and the spacer. Then we tacked a piece of brake line in this hole and drilled a hole in the valve cover for this to stick out. Then we took the oil pressure line and ran it to this tube. It may be redneck and crude, but it works for now. We'll fix it right some day when we have the engine out.. Saturday we take both jeeps and go to the back of our property to play in a washed out gully. It ain't rocks, but it's fun. On the first bank I try I get a pop, a thump, and no rear wheel drive. The rear pinion is pointing straight up and the rear u-joint is screwed. We pull the driveshaft out and drive it back home. The problem was that when I set the perches last week, I only TACKED them in place. We pulled the axle and welded the perches right. Then we (Joe was included in this decision) pulled the cover off and welded the gears while we had the axle out. The torx bolts in the cover were tighter than the bit so we tacked a bolt onto all 12 bolts and screwed them out. Then we replaced them with hex heads.  This took a couple or three hours and then we headed back to the gully. Man, what a differance! It was like going from 2wd to 4wd. Even with the breakdown, we both enjoyed the whole day.
avid Box "Real Jeeps are built, not bought."  And I'm still building this one!