Author Topic: screwed the pooch and now i really need help  (Read 3416 times)

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
screwed the pooch and now i really need help
« on: 02/29/08 - 07:03PM »
so i swapped the front shocks without much problem then moved to the back to take a go at it.  On the passenger side the previous owner must of snapped the stud because they ran a hex head in its place which promptly snapped off on me.  I figure that sucks well lets yank it out anyways so i can see what i can do better. Go to pull the 2 bolts that mount the top of the shock to the xj and the first one i try also snaps off.  Can someone please help with this problem i havent got a drill or the dies to tap it out and its my daily driver so i need to get it fixed.  Any help would be appreciated
Dude......I don't think thats gonna buff out.<br /><br />That ain't rust...Their custom lightening holes.

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
Re: screwed the pooch and now i really need help
« Reply #1 on: 02/29/08 - 08:49PM »
my best suggestion is to take a trip to harbour freight(the heaven of cheap tools) buy a drill, and one of those side drill adaptors(cause even if you dont use it on this you will end up needing it), and some bits. this will all cost you like 50 bux if you keep to those 3 things, but if your like me, youll end up spending 100+. you might invest in some PB Blaster, soke every bolt you get ready to turn a wrench on, this stuff is awsome when it comes to loosening bolts, also makes a good drill agent(keeps the bit cooler), just dont get it in your eyes, it burns about as bad as brake clean. i live two hours away so thats the best help i can be right now, sorry.
LATA
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 02/29/08 - 08:56PM »
i have soaked these bolts for a week in pb blast
Dude......I don't think thats gonna buff out.<br /><br />That ain't rust...Their custom lightening holes.

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #3 on: 02/29/08 - 10:59PM »
well crap, they were screwed from the beginning then werent they.  Is there much rust or is it just the butchered bolts that the prev owner used?  good luck man.
LATA
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline xj42

• Level 3
« Reply #4 on: 02/29/08 - 11:06PM »
Here is a link that might help, this is pretty common I guess.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19474&highlight=broken+shock+mount

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #5 on: 02/29/08 - 11:58PM »
thanks for the link i didn't think about using the sway bar mounts.  but like i said before its not so much the how of it as it is the lack of the tools needed for the job or a place to work and plug in and what not

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #6 on: 03/ 1/08 - 02:07PM »
guess i gonna dip into the rent fund today and pick up the tools needed anyone up for helping?

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #7 on: 03/ 1/08 - 06:23PM »
well i tried and i can't fix it

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #8 on: 03/ 1/08 - 06:49PM »
i guess i can either try to find a shop to fix it cheap (doubtful) or i can say screw it and sell it but either way it is beyound my abilities

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #9 on: 03/ 1/08 - 10:10PM »
so you got the tools and it still arent able to fix it? what issue are you running into now, got any pics, us guys love to look at pics? cause you should be able to just drill out the bolt and retap it and your good to go, that is unless you break the drill bit then your doing more work.  Dont give up on it, thats parts of jeeps, sometimes you spend a whole day dinking with a bolt and give up. then you drink a few beers (root beer that is) think it over, talk over a few ideas on here and then take a new wack at it the next day. now granted that is difficult to do when its your DD, but that keeps you from getting so mad at it you want to sell it.  most guys on here are so busy wrenching on their own jeeps that they never get a chance to help someone else personally, however if you bring it to the meetings, after the meeting you can usually talk a few guys to come out and take a look at it and give you hands on advice.

IF all else fails, Johns 4X4 in Billings is pretty reasonable, Geoff w/ ozarks offroad fab is great, but takes his time to do a good job.  Many good mechanics work at home too, thats always cheaper than a shop which is always a good thing, that and they usually care more when your their personal customer.

Hope this helps
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #10 on: 03/ 1/08 - 10:30PM »
not really gonna sell it just agrevated and venting.  Right now the problem is getting the other bar pin bolt out and figureing out what i am gonna do for a stud for the shock eye

Offline Fierogld

• Level 3
  • climbin trees
« Reply #11 on: 03/ 1/08 - 11:22PM »
theres a place up on division just east of glenstone called shamrock nut and bolt, those guys have about every bolt known to man and theyr pretty kool too.  theyd prbably be able to help you figure out what could be done as far as a pin/bolt.
LATA
Ryan
I like jeeps!!!

Offline zuki

• Level 2
« Reply #12 on: 03/ 1/08 - 11:30PM »
what side of springfield are you loc
94 YJ <br />03 Chevy ext 4x4 <br />88.5 samurai <br />82 chevy short bed 2wd <br />()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Offline x6xdemonx6x

• Level 2
« Reply #13 on: 03/ 2/08 - 12:32AM »
middle right next to jarret middle school

Offline why jay

• Level 2
« Reply #14 on: 03/ 2/08 - 01:07AM »
if i wasnt knee deep in mine this weekend, I'd come help.  I may be on hold till Monday though, depending on someones answer to my post.  Anyway, PM me you number and I may be able to come help tomorrow.  DD's have to be fixed.
I am Joe the plumber.