Author Topic: Gear Oil  (Read 965 times)

Offline DrLewall

• Level 2
Gear Oil
« on: 11/26/06 - 08:41PM »
Hey everyone, need some advise/opinions on some gear oil..I am getting ready to change out all the oil on a 94 wrangler..it's street and dirt road driven, no hard trails, yet..anyway what brand, weight, of oil do you like, use or recogmend? I will change out both front and rear ends, Transmission and T-case. I could follow the OEM standards, and I still may, but I would like to hear what you may have to say abt this.  TNX!
DrLewall
"Doc"

Blueyellow

Re: Gear Oil
« Reply #1 on: 11/26/06 - 11:11PM »
As for my engine oil I run 20w-50 Oriellys cheap. 20w 50 Becasue it's worn out motor 4.2 liter out of a 89 Yj. And It's Cheap B/c I Blow it out faster than I can Change it LOL. and As for Gear Lube 75/90 And in the AX-15(Tranny) I use about 80-20 Mix with ATF... Hope this helps
Al

Offline DrLewall

• Level 2
« Reply #2 on: 11/27/06 - 08:48AM »
Hmmm..never heard of or even thought of mixxin the atf and gear oil together, and that seems to work pretty good for ya?? interesting!
DrLewall
"Doc"

Blueyellow

« Reply #3 on: 11/27/06 - 08:37PM »
It sHifts a Bit easier in the windter when ya first get it going and also It is a Detergent somewhat of a cleaner inside the tranny.
Al

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #4 on: 11/30/06 - 10:27PM »
My Ruby has never tasted anything but Full Synthetic after the first oil change at 1,500 miles that is.

I use 75w140 and a bottle of the limited slip additive in the rear and 75w90 in the front.

and run 10w30 for the motor.

I'd stick with the recommended weight and decide whether you want synthetic or ... the other stuff.
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.