Author Topic: Warn Winch won't Winch!  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
Warn Winch won't Winch!
« on: 10/16/09 - 11:19AM »
Here's a few details:  9.5Ti.  Used it pretty hard in Farmington last week.  Back at the campground I free spooled the cable out to straighten it up (30-40').  With a light load, retrieved all but about 15' when it stopped.  Winch just 'clicks' switching in or out.  Let it cool down, no change.  Brought it home, opened it up, all of the solenoids seem to be working correctly.  Burned up motor?  Any input or experience is appreciated! Steve V.
Mo Printer

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
Re: Warn Winch won't Winch!
« Reply #1 on: 10/16/09 - 12:09PM »
How can you tell the solenoids are working correctly? The winch on the CJ would not spool out when I got it. Aaron had given me a couple new solenoids in on the trade. At first it would do nothing, no sound no click at all when you would try to spool out. Spooling in worked fine. I first replaced just one solenoid on the out-cycle; it would then click but no movement... I went ahead and replaced the other solenoid for the out and it works fine now.  I'm not sure how yours is set up, but it should be somewhat similiar. I have the warn 8000. My guess is you have burned up one solenoid on each cycle.
« Last Edit: 10/16/09 - 12:10PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #2 on: 10/16/09 - 12:40PM »
Have you tried a new remote? 

Steve if you want bring it by and we can take a look.  If it won't power in or out I'm going to say it's a remote or motor.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #3 on: 10/16/09 - 02:29PM »
Aaron - Yes, I used a different remote with same results, and used my remote on another winch & it worked fine.  Thanks!
Jimmy - when I use the remote, the solenoids switch from 0 volts to 12 volts and I have power to the contacts on the motor (F1 & F2), but no response from the motor.
Mo Printer

Offline YJ_Aaron

• Level 5
  • Jeep @ Disney
« Reply #4 on: 10/16/09 - 02:34PM »
I'm thinking your motor is toast steve.  Bring it by though Jeff isn't almost an expert on Warns.
Is it possible for a jeep to ever truely be finished?<br /><br />Only the dead have seen the end of war---Plato

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #5 on: 10/16/09 - 02:55PM »
but no response from the motor.

Try hooking the motor direct then Steve. No response? Then I'd bet your winch has had water in it and has caused the brushes to corrode and not contact. Even though the Warns are sealed they still get water/moisture in them. They have a drain on them, but sometimes it doesn't always work like it should. I know this sounds shadetree, but try holding your winch remote switch to either direction and smack the motor a few times with a hammer (not real hard!) ... just like you would on a starter that's not working.
« Last Edit: 10/16/09 - 05:19PM by LoneWolf »
EVERY NORMAL MAN MUST BE TEMPTED AT TIMES TO SPIT ON HIS HANDS, HOIST THE BLACK FLAG, AND BEGIN SLITTING THROATS.

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #6 on: 10/19/09 - 06:00PM »
what did you find out?

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #7 on: 10/19/09 - 06:16PM »
I didn't get a chance to 'tap' on it last weekend, but I'm going to.  I also found some info on Jeeps Unlimited with Warn's motor test procedure that I'm going to try.  Thanks for checking, I'll keep you posted.
Mo Printer

Offline Mo Printer

• Club Members
  • Level 3
« Reply #8 on: 10/22/09 - 10:07AM »
Update:  'Tapping' did no good, opened it up, and lo & behold the motor was full of rust & stuff!  With the help of Mr. Safety, solvent, & scotch Brite pads, got it cleaned up and put back together & it runs!  Next problem is getting the whole unit put back together (planetary gears = lots of teeth to line up!).  Ran out of time & patience before our Hot Springs run so I threw it in the floor & I'll deal with it next week.  Sure hope I don't need a winch at Superlift!
Mo Printer

Offline LoneWolf

• Level 5
« Reply #9 on: 10/22/09 - 12:20PM »
well mark one up for lonewolf!   >:D